At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Process Development Engineer to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
Under supervision of the project lead the Engineer will apply knowledge and experience of large scale algae cultivation dynamics with the outdoor cultivation mechanisms developed at Synthetic Genomics to achieve deliverable leading to commercially viable algae to produce fuel and chemicals. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in photosynthetic metabolism and biochemistry of photoautotrophic organisms, and a working knowledge of electronic sensors to monitor algal growth and culture health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Engineer will work with the other project leads and scientists contributing intellectual input into designing innovative culturing techniques, maintaining rapid growing photosynthetic microalgae and employing advanced techniques to provide in-house expertise on microbial stability and predation defenses.
- Execute laboratory experiments, including growth of photosynthetic microbes, developing approaches to improve lipid accumulation and extraction. Must demonstrate a thorough understanding of the implications for transferring indoor cultures to the outdoor production environment.
- Work closely with the project lead to identify knowledge and process gaps that can lend to the success of the program.
- Assist the team in the development and deployment of an advanced sensor and real-time data network.
- Work closely with the greenhouse and field demonstration unit to ensure a smooth technology transfer from bench-scale through outdoor deployment.
- Assist the project lead in maintaining a quality data set from both the greenhouse and field demonstration unit.
- Instruct and provide guidance to Senior Research Associates and Research Associates.
- Must be able to provide written reports on a set schedule to the project lead.
- Must work independently with minimal supervision within the scope of the assigned project.
- Willingness to travel to the field demonstration unit for the implementation and monitoring of various technologies and the introduction of new species or process.
- Requires a Masters or Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biosystems Engineering, Microbiology, Biology, or a related field and a minimum of 2years of relevant postdoctoral or industrialexperience.
- Broad and detailed experience with photosynthetic organisms, photosynthetic processes with an emphasis on outdoor cultivation of photosynthetic microalgae.
- Working knowledge and experience with outdoor, open algal growth raceways.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skill to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team.
- Experience working with large-scale algae growth and harvesting systems or other microbial photo-autotrophs is advantage.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50 lbs.