A premier, ISO 9001: 2015 certified and AS9100 tooling and parts supplier to the aerospace and defense industries located in South Bend is currently seeking a Process Engineer. This role is responsible to optimally design, develop, evaluate, support, and improve the manufacturing processes and methods necessary to produce finished parts which meet and exceed both Customer and Company expectations for quality, timeliness, and cost.
- Plan, design, develop, implement, and evaluate manufacturing production processes and controls by applying knowledge of product design, machining, assembly, fixturing, tooling, and materials; conferring with Operations and Quality Assurance and soliciting their input; studying customer and product requirements; conferring with vendors and suppliers; and researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment
- Define operational steps & sequences including tasks, Bill of Materials, and equipment (workcenters) required to optimally produce all build-to-order or build-to-inventory parts
- Define, select, and requisition tooling, gaging, fixturing, componentry, and other material (as needed) for purchasing.
- Assure product and process quality by designating inspection methods to control the quality of products during the manufacturing process and thus reduce defect rates, rework, and waste.
- Develop set-up and work instructions for any new parts or processes introduced to the production area.
- Provide manufacturing decision-making information by calculating estimated production times and tooling costs, reviewing production schedules, and estimating future requirements.
- Provide manufacturing engineering support by answering questions and requests from production managers, supervisors, and operators.
- Maintain product and process database by cataloging CNC machine programs and entering data.
- Complete process design and development projects by training and guiding operators. technicians, and (as needed) supervisors.
- Recommend new production equipment, tooling, and support equipment by researching, testing & comparing multiple options when the optimal solution is not available in-house CNC Programming.
- Program a CNC Swiss in a production environment.
Knowledge of computer-aided design techniques with strong mechanical aptitude. BS/BA degree preferred but will substitute for right applicable experience in a machining environment where finished products are being produced. Aerospace machining experience preferred. Three plus years of CNC programming, setting up, and troubleshooting. Additionally:
- Excellent ability to read and understand drawings, schematics, blue-prints, work instructions and standard machine shop technologies.
- Experience working in an environment of continuous process improvement and track record of developing and implementing process improvements, including maintaining accurate records and following established Quality Procedures and Work Instruction.