Assists in leading day-to-day operations of a department and in supporting Performance Excellence pillars. This position is also responsible for process improvements in all facets of operation through direct contributions of project development from conception though start-up. The role assists in leading day to day operations, tracking and understanding department costs, yields, quality, and process performance. A Process Engineer will indirectly lead hourly colleagues and support the Plant Superintendent in operations, coordination of training, as well as updating standard operating procedures. This position will work with and coordinate contractors for the completion of Focused Improvement projects within the department and coordinate maintenance to improve asset performance.
- Essential Job Functions:Interacts directly with shift supervision to produce desired operational results and employee development
- Oversight of specific processes that may include projects. Project management may require, purchasing of materials and supplies, equipment installation, budget tracking, employee training, and startup of projects.
- Lead plant operations to maintain personnel and process safety
- Recommendations for improvements to company facilities, equipment, and safety programs
- Conducts daily review of paperwork (i.e. operational & Shift Supervisor, quality reports and Production Review).
- Supports Quality and the Food Safety Management System and possibly as member of that team.
- Serves as a primary contact for operational, production, and maintenance planning, giving guidance priorities
- Assist in daily operations including shift coverage as needed
- Project design, development and management that are specific to the operations
- Process and cost tracking
- Participates in employee performance management
- Provide feedback, mentorship and support to operators and engineers to achieve short term and long-term department performance through use of KPI’s, continuous improvement, and Performance Excellence concepts
- B.S. in Engineering preferred
- 5 plus years engineering experience or 10 plus years of production leadership
- Plant operations experience and direct supervision of colleagues is preferred
- Project management experience / background is helpful.
- Concern for Quality
- Strong Dedication to Safety
- Proven leadership
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Good written and verbal commutation skills
- Ability to lead personnel and work closely with Corporate departments
- Ability to look beyond the task at hand, to anticipate challenges and develop options to overcome them
- Able to lift and transport materials and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds on a frequent basis, up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis and up to 55 pounds overhead.
- Lifting or carrying of weights over 50 pounds is rare. Employees are encouraged to request assistance in lifting or carrying objects that weigh more than 50 pounds.
- Able to move about or to a work site by stooping, bending, kneeling or squatting frequently. May also require periods of prolonged sitting or standing.
- Able to operate equipment or diagnose / detect issues of machinery that may be located at different heights. May require work on ladders, scaffolding or other work at heights.
- Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual and electrically powered tools and test equipment, to move throughout the facility, including climbing stairs in all buildings, and to work at heights.