Date: May 8, 2018
Location: Columbia, MD, US, 21044
Company: W. R. Grace & Co.
Requisition ID: 2043
Grace is built on talent, technology, and trust, Grace is a leading global supplier of catalysts and engineered materials. The company’s two industry-leading business segments—Catalysts Technologies and Materials Technologies—provide innovative products, technologies, and services that enhance the products and processes of our customers around the world. Grace employs approximately 3,700 people in over 30 countries.
The Process Design Leader is responsible for managing the process design resources and activities associated with scoping, design and start-up of capital projects across Grace. This position will directly supervise a team of professionals deployed across a portfolio of strategic capital projects that are aligned with the growth and productivity goals of the company. In addition, this position will have overall accountability for driving improvements to process design practices and rigor on technology elements of projects across the company. The position is also expected to participate as a design engineer or project manager to support capital projects.
The Process Design Leader will report directly to the Process Innovation Leader for W. R. Grace
- Lead, demonstrate and ensure a strong safety culture within the organization with a particular emphasis on process safety and hazards during design
- Lead and manage a team of 4-6 engineers supporting process design for strategic capital projects across all product lines; Directs activities of any third party process design activities for detailed design
- Engage as a design engineer or project manager for capital projects as necessary. Demonstrate best practices to team through active project involvement.
- Work with Capital Project Managers and Operations Directors, prioritize and align process design resources to meet strategic and operating commitments
- Collaborate with Process Technology and Operations to ensure successful design and scale-up of new processes and equipment to manufacturing (Cost, quality, schedule)
- Define procedures and work processes to strengthen linkage between concept, data and process design for a more robust manufacturing process
- Develop order-of-magnitude and merit level capital estimates for screening purposes of project alternatives
- Partner with Process Innovation Center engineers to identify and evaluate state of the art equipment and technologies that will improve manufacturing capability or lower production costs
- Provide necessary leadership to employees, both written and verbal, by completing mid-year and annual Personal Development Reviews (PDRs) including measurable objectives aligned with annual operating plan
- Define and implement organizational and individual development plans to upgrade both technical and leadership skills of team members.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills needed to manage and collaborate with internal and external resources
- Strong business acumen and ability to prioritize needs based on financial and business impacts
- Ability to manage complex projects across many facilities and functions
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Engineering degree: Chemical Engineering
- 10+ years industrial technical experience
- 5+ years technical management experience with demonstrated ability to build and lead a diverse organization of technical personnel, manage a complex project portfolio and manage to safety, financial and team performance objectives
- Demonstrated ability to network effectively within the business unit and to stakeholders and collaborators outside the team
- Up to 50% of travel including international will be required
Grace is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Grace via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Grace. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Grace as a result of the referral or through other means.