This is a salaried position for Zwolle Engineered Lumber Products (ELP) manufacturing facility. The Process Control Engineer will report to the unit manager at the Zwolle, Louisiana ELP facility. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing, implementing, training and supporting improvement process control solutions across the ELP regional manufacturing operations. The Process Control Engineer will work closely with mill personnel, corporate teams, and/or technology providers to identify process improvement opportunities and implement solutions in support of business and operational goals.
- Lead, develop, and support application of process and process control best practices. Including joining with mill leadership to develop mid and long term process control network strategies
- Understand and share industry best practices, equipment options and proven strategies for manufacturing control systems and applications
- Proactively identify opportunities for process improvement, variability reduction and cost reduction
- Provide project and technical leadership (including training) for local and system-wide process control technology applications and PLC Technicians
- Serve as a key ELP business resource for projects to install and apply new process control technology and methods, documentation and training
- Create visibility and lead review of technology with potential for application in our manufacturing operations
- Build relationships with Corporate and other businesses process control resources
- Initiate and develop productive relationships with external suppliers of process and control technology
- Partner with manufacturing and business leaders to ensure alignment of project portfolio with business and operational goals
- Mentor and assist the development of other process and process control engineers and Technicians throughout the business
The following qualifications are required:
- BS degree in Chemical, Electrical, Industrial, Computer or Mechanical Engineering or 10+ more years of experience in lieu of degree.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in applying and supporting process control solutions in manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated success in developing and applying process control solutions for process/product improvement and cost reduction
- Expert level knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLC), human-machine interface (HMI) and related systems with proficiency in programming and configuring complex automation strategies
- Ability and desire to lead cross-functional team projects with participation from manufacturing site and corporate based engineering personnel
- Ability to work with associates of all levels including managers, engineers, machine operators, quality technicians, line supervisors, maintenance technicians, information technology
- Extensive process knowledge and a first principles understanding of dynamic process behavior
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and problem-solving ability
- Capacity to lead and participate in several projects simultaneously
The following qualifications are desired:
- Experience in wood products manufacturing and associated discrete control applications
- Strong data analysis skills and ability to diagnose complex process scenarios
- Experience in controller design and fundamental tuning approaches
- Experience with successfully applying advanced control solutions, such as model predictive control (MPC) for multi-variable processes
- Proficiency using process historian systems, analysis tools and information systems such as Aspen IP/21 Process Explorer, and GE Proficy Plant Applications
- Proficiency with process identification and control tuning software tools such as Expertune, ProTuner, or Entech
- Experience developing applications with programming languages such as Visual Basic, C, or Java; databases such as Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience in LEAN Manufacturing or similar principles and practices
- Familiarity with Windows operating systems, domains, Ethernet networks
- Experience with Allen-Bradley/Rockwell and Wonderware systems
About Weyerhaeuser: We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
About Wood Products: We've been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 100 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support. For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.