General Description: Leader / Manager of the Site Process Control group. This group provides on-going support for a DCS controlled mixed mode (batch and continuous) chemical manufacturing operation at the Solvay Niagara Falls, Canada site. This individual will have overall responsibility for the site's two main control system platforms (Emerson Delta V® and Siemens (Moore) APACs) including administration, programming and maintenance. Successful candidates can demonstrate they can understand complex chemical processes in a timely manner, utilize control technologies to improve process performance while routinely interacting with the Operations, Maintenance and Engineering teams.
Reports to: Site Technical Manager
Direct Reports: 3-5 including Process Controls Engineers, Process Control Technical Specialist and possibly Instrument & Controls Engineer(s). Will interact closely with the Operations department, the Operations Engineer group, the Site Maintenance Department and other members of the Site Technical group (Project and Process Engineers).
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 7 years of direct experience in industrial Chemical Plant or Oil and Gas Processing Operations (broad based experience interacting with production, engineering and maintenance is preferred). Chemical Plant experience should be in a facility operated to world class standards in the areas of Process Safety; Digital Instrumentation & Control; Safety, Health and Environment standards.
- Four year relevant Engineering degree; Chemical, Electrical or Computer System disciplines preferred.
- Registered (or eligible for registration) as a Professional Engineer with Professional Engineers Ontario (or equivalent).
- Candidates must show knowledge and direct experience in the use of Emerson Delta V process control systems in a batch and/or continuous environment.
- Preferred candidates also have direct experience with Siemens (formerly Moore) APACs systems or alternately, experience with controllers utilizing Sequential Function Chart language, sequential block logic, structured text and ladder logic.
- Past experience supervising small groups of technical personnel (engineers, programmers, technicians).
- Ability to plan and execute the proper operation, maintenance and associated documentation for Distributed Control systems including management of versions, hardware, system downloads, alarm management, interlock management and functional design specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and manage a system integrator (Emerson Impact Partner) to supplement the in-house workforce on selected activities.
- Past involvement in the design and implementation of Safety Interlock systems in a Distributed Control system.
- Past history of the use of formal Management of Change systems both for the chemical manufacturing process as well as for changes within the Control System environment.
- Understanding of currently practiced Advanced Process Control (APC) concepts and system tuning solutions that lead to improved process safety performance or efficiency in the chemical manufacturing process.
- A working knowledge of process historian systems is required. Preferred candidates have direct experience in the use and administration of an OSI/PI process historian package.
- Understanding and use of applicable ISA standards.
- Preferred candidates have a demonstrated ability to plan and oversee system migrations from legacy systems to the current standardized environment.