This Senior Process Control Engineer is responsible for managing the automation resources at the organization’s manufacturing facilities. This role supports day-to-day production as well as project work. In this capacity, the Senior Process Control Engineerworks with operations, project engineers, maintenance & reliability, research & development, and supply chain functions to ensure the automation systems safely & consistently meet the needs of these clients.
Evaluate and Define Automation Requirements for Projects & Improvement Opportunities (70%)
- Manages automation resources at manufacturing facilities to support operations and engineering
- Oversees the automation and process control code and ensures implementation per company standards.
- Acts as the Subject Matter Expert for Process Automation and Control.
- Manages and implements changes to both the DCS and SIL control systems hardware and software systems.
- Investigates and defines future upgrades or modifications to automation hardware and software based on operations and capital project requirements.
- Evaluates upgrades and modifications to the automation hardware and software to ensure these assets stay up-to-date and integrate best available technologies.
Third Party Contractor Management (15%)
- Manages the relationships with 3rd party contractors with expertise in the automation systems to prioritize and coordinate tasks to maintain and improve the automation systems.
Network Security for Plant Automation Systems (15%)
- Maintains adequate networksecurity for the plant automation systems in conjunction with the IT Group to ensure cybersecurity for the automation systems is in line with the current best practices established by IT Group.
FREEDOM TO ACT:
This position is responsible for making key decisions for the business regarding best practices for automation in the manufacturing facilities. These decisions are captured in writing & vetted to the necessary team members before any changes are implemented. When appropriate, proposed changes will go through the Management of Change process for a more extensive review.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Chemical or Electrical
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing strategies for plant instrumentation and advanced process control
- Demonstrated proficiency in deploying complex process control systems
- 7-15 years of experience in a chemical/plastics manufacturing environment or process development environment
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Advanced degree in Chemical or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in facilitation of Continuous Improvement evens such as Kaizen, Six Sigma or Lean processes
Other (knowledge, skills and abilities):
- Ability to identify new opportunities, develop business cases and manage process control projects
- Strong knowledge of process engineering fundamentals and unit operations
- Ability to operate independently and effectively in a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to work successfully in a manufacturing environment
- Professional engineering license in chemical, control systems, or electrical engineering is desirable
- Knowledge of process instrumentation is desirable
- Working knowledge of NFPA 85 and 87 for burner management standards of fire equipment.
- Working knowledge of ISA/IEC-62443 cybersecurity standard for industrial control systems
- Experience working with plant data historians (i.e. OSIsoft PI, AspenTech IP21, etc…)
- Experience developing & maintaining model-predictive control systems (i.e. AspenTech DMCplus or DMC3, Honeywell Profit Suite, Schneider Electric SimSci APC, etc…)
- Experience with configuring and maintaining Allen Bradley VFD’s.
- Experience as a plant process engineer with a proven history of implement improvements successfully
- Experience implementing automation changes including conception, programming and testing in a manufacturing environment
- Project startup experience
- History of successfully managing a portfolio of improvement opportunities through a team of engineers, technicians and/or 3rd party contractors
- Good written & oral communication skills, particularly developing technical documents
- Good knowledge of safety, electrical and fire protection standards
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Standard work hours with some overtime required for project support, etc.
- Some non-standard working hours are required on an on-call basis to support plant operations
- Time split between office location and plant environment
- Some travelrequired, including occasional travelinternationally