ATEP (Arconic Titanium and Engineered Products) is a world-class producer of titanium aero ingots and mill products—and a leader in multi-material airframe subassemblies and advanced technologies and materials, such as 3D printing and titanium aluminides. Titanium is the world’s fastest-growing aerospace metal, and we’re taking it to greater heights with vertically integrated capabilities and deep materials science expertise. Our engineered products and solutions help build the world’s most advanced aircraft—and also help protect our troops and power our world.
The Process Control & Combustion Engineer will report to the Group Engineering Manager Titanium Segment and will be responsible for the design, development, execution, and data analysis of all furnace temperature uniformity surveys, system accuracy tests, and gas analysis at the ATEP Niles location. The process control & combustion engineer will provide direct supervision to the process control technician responsible for coordinating furnace testing & results as well as provide technical guidance to the electricians performing the testing. This position will provide technical leadership in the adherence to all heat treat specifications and NADCAP requirements and be an engineering liaison to the Quality department. This position will provide process control & engineering leadership of data acquisition and analysis of various operating equipment throughout the Niles facility, concentrating on heat treat processes and other equipment used in the production of titanium mill products. This position will also be responsible as the Single Point of Authority for Combustion Safety for all furnaces, boilers, and air heaters in the ATEP Niles & Canton facilities. A broad knowledge of engineering principles, practices, and procedures will be applied to process improvement initiatives focused on heat treatment of titanium mill products and other processes across the titanium manufacturing landscape.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide engineering leadership in support of heat treat process compliance; lead process control improvement & automation initiatives for heat treat processes as well as other metal manufacturing process throughout the facility;
- Provide direct support to operations & maintenance to diagnose/troubleshoot controls system hardware/software & equipment problems and integration issues, and develop & coach resources to address existing needs and ongoing growth requirements;
- Provide technical leadership in the development of new process control & automation (PC&A) strategies in support of business unit goals. Establish and ensure appropriate process control standards and specifications are being met;
- Serve as the Single Point of Authority for Combustion Safety for all furnaces, boilers, and air heaters with a gross energy input greater than or equal to 150,000 BYU per hour, in the ATEP Niles & Canton facilities;
- Ensure appropriate interface and migration of corporate IT functionality relative to PC&A, as well as network, security, and back up requirements are satisfied;
- Provide leadership in the migration of outsourced service activity to internal control of PC&A functions while positioning internal capabilities to support business growth;
- Provide engineering expertise, guidance, and direction in the functional design and implementation of process control improvements and OEE initiatives;
- Manage ongoing vendor activities as well monitor potential vendor development of new automation applications, ensure compliance with technical specifications, and communicate with applicable business unit leaders.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution;
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in Engineering;
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (I.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee;
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- BE/BS in ElectricalEngineering or related engineering/computer control discipline;
- Minimum of 5-10 years of engineering leadership experience in process control, preferably in a heavy manufacturing/metals environment;
- Must have a strong technical knowledge in the fundamentals of controls engineering and controls systems, and a basic knowledge of various levels and interfaces to information technology;
- Thorough understanding of machine process control and advanced process control techniques and how they can be applied to monitor, control, predict, and improve plant operating performance;
- Experience in combustion control, heat treat processes, or furnace management a plus;
- Experience in metals manufacturing processes a plus.
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced manufacturing environment;
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and perform root cause analyses;
- Strong communication, computer, and organizational skills;
- Self-driven contributor to meet organizational goals.