HP’s Privacy Engineering Team is revolutionizing the way our customers experience and use our products and the way HP is doing business. We are seeking an experienced Privacy Engineer to develop and implement solutions in the Print business unit to ensure HP’s Privacy Policies are correctly implemented in our solutions and data platforms across the technology stack. The implementations need to advance HP’s compliance with all legal forms of data use and support business actions with data. The position will also strategically work to align advanced technologies and Privacy by Design principles at the earliest stages in development and make sure that the accumulation, analysis and actions the business chooses with data meet established regulatory compliance needs. This role will collaborate with data product development teams creating new uses of data by using cutting-edge privacy features and prototypes that can be deployed in production code.
The Privacy Engineer will be responsible for interacting with internal Privacy Program Managers, Data Engineers, Product Development teams, Legal, Compliance, Governance and Data Protection teams to develop the required solutions. The position evaluates, analyzes, designs, programs, debugs, and architects enhancements in developing and integrating new data streams on a project-by-project basis. The goals will be to develop technical solutions and systems to help mitigate privacy vulnerabilities, research, document, steer design decisions, operating procedures, or processes that may directly or indirectly contribute to future privacy risks. They are also responsible for assisting with the management of the data privacy, data protection, data usability, performance and the integrity of the privacy solution. May use current programming languages and technologies, design, develop and performs testing and debugging of applications as well as completes documentation and procedures for doing Privacy by Design. Interacts with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications to new or existing solutions or systems. The Privacy Engineer will interface with other Developers and Architects in implementing data solutions that enable the business to be data driven while protecting the data assets.
- Use data anonymization and cryptographic techniques to develop systems that will preserve and improve privacy protection
- Guide the development of new privacy products and features
- Identifies areas of improvement in local practices relative to managing data privacy
- Performs regular privacy assessments of operational processes, identifying, and mitigating risks across the company through effective tools, training and guidance
- Communicates program progress, escalations, and issue analysis to key stakeholders
- Acts as key interface to data science and analytics communities both within and outside of HP
The candidate must also possess these key skills associated with Big Data and Privacy:
- Experience or understanding of software applications design tools and languages such as C++, C#, Java and Python.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of design for software applications running on multiple platform types such as Linux or Windows.
- Understanding of testing, coding, and debugging procedures in continuous integration development.
- Fluency in English.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of software engineering fundamentals.
- Bias to action.
- Ability to execute on given projects consistently.
- Mathematical reasoning; Competent in the interpretation of numeric data, understand and/or practice statistical principles.
- Data literacy: Finding and managing data, cleansing data, appropriately address extremes, outliers, etc., manipulating data.
- Ability to develop software at a tactical level, as well as the ability to communicate and implement the intended strategy of the application.
- Ability to perform operations on large datasets including automated verification and validation.
- Experienced with Agile software development life-cycles with its principles, practices, strategies and tactics including continuous integration.
- Experience with data warehousing, dimensional modeling, Big Data solutions and ETL development is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to exercise good judgement and balance risks in ambiguous and complex situations
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, and leading or contributing to global and multi-functional teams
- Highly motivated to contribute and grow within a complex area of emerging importance
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence without authority
- BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems or related field of study.
- Strong software development skills.
- Experience with open source technologies a plus.
- Familiarity with Data warehousing, dimensional modeling and ETL development a plus.
- Initiative and a drive to achieve desired outcomes.
- A creative mind and a propensity to take calculated risks.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate designs, proposals, and results; and negotiate options at management levels
- 5+ years' experience in privacy / data protection
- 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Privacy by Design
- Applied Cryptography
- Data Anonymization
- Differential Privacy
- Privacy Preserving Distributed Machine Learning