Tribe and Karma of the Team
Segment is a privacy-forward company. From our first-party data forward values to the nature of our product and service offerings, privacy is at the foundation of what we do. In this role, you’ll counsel product, engineering, marketing and other teams throughout the business to ensure privacy compliant operations. You’ll also be a leader within the Segment Privacy Program that helps oversee data compliance and data ethics throughout the organization. You’ll also help us design products that influence better data practices throughout the industry. We’re looking for someone who has the raw skillset to keep us compliant, married with the passion to push us beyond regulations to be even better stewards of data.
Focus and Drive of the Role
- Lead the development, management, and implementation of Segment’s privacy and data ethics strategy across the organization.
- Draft, revise, and implement privacy policies and practices, oversee Segment’s DPIA process, and monitor ongoing privacy compliance throughout the org.
- Counsel the marketing, product, and engineering teams on privacy considerations for new products and features.
- Collaborate with the information security and Governance, Risk, and Compliance team to steer compliance at the intersection of data privacy and data security.
- Monitor and advise on emerging domestic and international privacy laws, and advise the business on potential impacts.
- Prepare, review, and negotiate Data Processing Agreements with Segment’s vendors and customers.
- Manage the privacy review process for new Segment vendors.
- Creatively drive awareness around privacy and data security issues, including developing and delivering training.
What we're looking for:
- 4-6 years of experience practicing law in the technology or privacy space.
- Impeccable legal and business judgment and can quickly risk-assess and prioritize.
- Deep experience with global privacy regulations, including CCPA and GDPR (familiarity with PIPEDA, HIPAA, GLBA, COPPA, and LGPD are all a big plus).
- Excellent presence and proven ability to influence.
- Organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and flexible.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with internal clients and outside groups to find creative solutions to complex problems .
- Strong written/oral communication skills, and in particular, excel at communicating complex issues.
- Collaborating in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Open to travel as and when required.
- In-house experience (preferred but not required).
- Have a JD, are admitted to the California Bar, and have an excellent academic record.
- IAPP CIPP Certification (CIPP/US or CIPP/E preferred)