General Assembly is looking for a Privacy & Commercial Counsel to join a dynamic and growing legal team. As Privacy & Commercial Counsel, you will be the lead attorney for our Privacy Program and play a key role in our rapidly growing enterprise business, while also handling a wide range of commercial, corporate governance and intellectual property issues. You will work closely with teams across the business, advising on various legal issues and helping ensure our people have the best information and tools to successfully do their jobs while appropriately managing enterprise risk. Day-to-day responsibilities will include monitoring and managing compliance with privacy related laws and regulations; providing leadership around the continued evolution of our Privacy Program and its implementation across the business; negotiating, drafting and reviewing a wide variety of complex commercial agreements; crafting policies and processes that balance business objectives and legal risk; and partnering with the business to respond to a wide range of legal questions and issues as they arise.
The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who enjoys operating autonomously, can manage multiple projects and competing priorities comfortably, and brings extraordinary judgment and interpersonal skills to the role. We are looking for candidates who are excited about the opportunity to help to grow General Assembly’s business in a compliant and forward-looking manner, while working with diverse groups of stakeholders to get things done in a complex and fast-moving global business environment.
- Monitor and manage corporate compliance with applicable privacy related laws and regulations, including maintenance of GDPR-required data processing inventories; continued design and implementation of PIAs and DPIAs with business units; management of vendor relationships related to privacy; negotiation of DPAs with clients and vendors; etc.
- Manage data deletion/right to be forgotten requests, and own the process for execution of those request across the organization
- Design and implement robust policies and procedures related to Data Privacy and Information Security in coordination with the Director of Information Security
- Provide leadership and guidance for other business units to ensure processes are crafted with “privacy by design” and to assist with incorporating privacy and Information Security policies and initiatives into operations and product builds
- Play central role in cross-functional team established to manage responses to inquiries from Data Protection Authorities as well as potential information security-related incidents
- Work with Director of Information Security to create a culture of Privacy and Information Security by design through communications, trainings, AMAs, events, etc.
- Perform ongoing analysis of privacy/security laws, regulations and jurisprudence in current and potential jurisdictions where the company operates, and counsel company on potential impact on operations.
- Review, draft and negotiate enterprise sales, partnerships, vendor, licensing, and other complex agreements, using your experience to help define business terms and structure deals in a way that drives our growth.
- Through working with them on transactions, help to foster and deepen relationships with enterprise clients, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and small- and medium-sized businesses.
- Oversee GA’s contracts management system, records management, and related processes in partnership with the rest of the legal team.
- Advise sales, product, real estate, marketing, engineering, and other teams on a full range of issues related to commercial contracting, software licensing, intellectual property, privacy, and data security, including compliance with domestic and international laws.
- Assist with the creation, updating, and maintenance of actionable internal policies, resources, and compliance programs and conduct effective legal training.
- Assist the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel in developing short- and long-range goals and objectives for the legal team.
- Act as a utility player and work across a variety of projects and teams.
- Broad-based corporate generalist with 4-6 years of experience in the commercial and/or data privacy areas, gained through a combination of law firm and in-house roles of increasing visibility and responsibility.
- Substantive experience counseling on data privacy issues and designing and implementing data privacy programs.
- Solid experience in commercial contracts supporting active business development for clients and/or for global sales teams, including leading negotiations with large companies and working closely with finance partners.
- Substantial understanding of licensing, privacy, data security, intellectual property, and commercial laws. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of GA and our industry, including the interplay of relevant regulations, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Comfortable and effective at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams.
- Demonstrated drive for results, work ethic and ability to prioritize risks and projects to focus on what’s important, get things done, and seize opportunities.
- Excellent planning and organization skills; meticulous attention to detail is a must.
- Strong academic credentials and New York Bar admission in good standing.
- Organizational Agility
- Priority Setting
- Process Management
- Action Oriented
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Decision Quality