The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for the overall design of an application suite, and ensuring the delivery from the agile team meets agreed upon architecture standards. They lead the advancement of solutions within their business portfolio. They will be knowledgeable in third party/cloud solutions and lead successful integration of modern technologies. The Principal Software Engineer plays a critical role in leading software teams, mentoring software engineers of all levels and help grow future talent within the organization.
This role will play a leading role in improving the interraction between the business and IT by identifying and developing strategic applications of IT. The role will be critical in the advancement of thearchitecture roadmap through innovative solutions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand the business needs and designs solutions to enable the desired capabilities.
- Provides technical leadership and direction across a BDH or Value-stream
- Collaborates with architects on the creation and application of technical roadmaps, standards, tooling and frameworks required to create a modern, high quality, rich application suite.
- Recognizes potential strategic application of IT, and initiates investigation and development of innovative methods of exploiting IT assets, to the benefit of organizations and the community. Plays a leading role in improving the interaction and understanding between the business and IT.
- Completes the design of an application and drives the advancement of the reference architecture.
- Advances architecture roadmap for business area(s) by recommending third party/cloud solutions and Prototyping initiatives
- Co-ordinates or participates in tool, technology and service selection, risk assessments and sunsetting in conjunction with technical and business stakeholders ensuring consistency with existing business needs and architectural sustainability.
- Ensures that solutions delivered have an excellent customer experience, are secure and scalable, comply with best practices and open standards.
- Look for ways to utilize modern technologies to solve business problems – including AI, Digital platforms, and automation.
- Actively looks for solutions that are buy over build and are cloud based.
- Stays abreast of external trends and new functionality to be released by third party/cloud solutions, identifying and socializing opportunities for expanded business applicability
- Ensures application solution design conforms to agreed upon quality attributes such as performance, fault tolerance, etc.
- Ensures product backlog has appropriate technical stories and participates in their prioritization
- Resolves architectural uncertainties through prioritisation, planning, and execution of architectural sprints and prioritises Technology Roadmap and portfolio backlogs based on outcomes
- Provides ongoing and appropriate mentorship for Software Engineers
- Plays an active role in creating and communicating new technical solutions to business partners
- Responsible for application quality from design and implementation to deploy and run.
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the existing portfolio of applications for a business area, and recommending areas where new investment is merited.
- Responsible for communication and collaboration with senior stakeholders
- May participate in the actual Design, coding, configuration, testings and maintenance of software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools.
- Maintains depth of technical understanding of third party/cloud solutions and Unum’s implementation of solutions.
- Evaluates technical impacts from and coordinates implementation of new product releases.
- Participates in sizing and estimation activities with the agile team
- May participates in code reviews and sprint retrospectives;
- Focuses on delivering business priority and value at all times
- Ensures agile teams are adopting best software development practices including manual and automated testing, continuous Integration techniques, automated deployments, etc
- Collaborates with business SMEs and Business Architects to confirm understanding of requirements and to help drive business value in solution designs.
- Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
- Collaborates with the agile team to establish the definition of done for each of the stages of production within the team
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries
- Monitor application behavior in production to ensure that the application performance system stability are meeting business needs, and takes appropriate action.
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
- Bachelors of Computer Science, with Master degree is preferred, or equivalent relevant experience
- Passionate about the customer – motivating self and others to create innovative solutions that will excite and delight the customer.
- 8+ years of successfully delivering software products in a complex, enterprise environment.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
- Strong analytical abilities
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Expert in Agile development/methodologies, Test Automation and TDD, CI/CD, Devops
- High focus on quality; holds self and others to high standards of delivery
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; experience leading groups of people through discussions, technical or otherwise. Successfully communicate to Senior Management
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.