The Principle Engineer is a strategic professional who stays abreast of developments within own field and contributes to directional strategy by considering their application in own job and the business. Recognized technical authority for an area within the business. Requires basic commercial awareness. There are typically multiple people within the business that provide the same level of subject matter expertise. Developed communication and diplomacy skills are required in order to guide, influence and convince others, in particular colleagues in other areas and occasional external customers. Significant impact on the area through complex deliverables. Provides advice and counsel related to the technology or operations of the business. Work impacts an entire area, which eventually affects the overall performance and effectiveness of the sub-function/job family.
- Accountable for executing and driving results on large-scale efforts or multiple smaller efforts and serving as a development lead for most medium and large projects. This includes expertise with application development methodologies and standards for program analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging and implementation.
- Accountable for exhibiting a strong understanding of client core business functions.
- Required to support situations in which end user consultation is required to identify system function specifications and incorporate them into overall system design and delivery. Additionally, utilize comprehensive knowledge of multiple areas within technology to achieve technological objectives.
- Independent work style, requiring little or no guidance by more senior developers. Decisions will make a significant, measurable impact on the business goals for the client organization. During team discussions you will play a significant role with TPMs and engineering managers to determine potential risks to a schedule.
- Assist in the planning and managing of application development assignments generally involving large budgets, cross functional projects or multiple projects. This includes effectively understanding and analyzing both technical and business risks and impact.
- Expected to effectively communicate those risks to the business owners, so that they can make informed decisions.
- Accountable for providing guidance on architecturally significant efforts during the preplanning phase, and ensuring principles and best practices are followed prior to initiation of work. In doing so, closely watch and evaluate Digital roadmaps, including impacts to support upcoming journeys.
- Publish design review extensions, and provide documented guidance aligned to sprint plans and timelines.
- Be part of the design review board that will focus on the design process, search for generic patterns, and, at the same time, share best practices across the organization.
- Publish design patterns across lines of business and domain commonalities. Drive design reviews for Next Gen Architecture (NGA) and Plan of Record (POR) projects, supporting design principles and best practices.
- Participate in micro services and NGA code reviews.
- Empower SDEs and their teams by mentoring and coaching.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the business domain, the systems, and the products in your space. Understand their accountabilities, boundaries, limitations, scale factors and the reasons behind architectural decisions.
- Provide a long-term perspective for business and technology choices; using technical judgment to vet architecture as required.
- Able to direct teams on how to develop and deliver systems that are efficient with resource usage such as hardware, runtime, performance, load, and memory requirements.
- Responsible for broader design decisions and development of long-term strategies that significantly influence the development process and standards.
- Accountable for Design Reviews of Agile and Plan of Record (POR) projects as well as accountable for Code Reviews of Next Gen Architecture (NGA) projects and are expected to elaborate, promote and communicate Design Patterns applicable to NGA architectures and solutions.
- Accountable for providing architectural guidance to the SDE’s based on best practices and in alignment with CTO guidelines and platform.
- Drive clarity and work with complete independence as business and or technical strategy is not defined.
- Provide the corresponding architectural guidance, and conduct design reviews and code reviews based on the projects assigned to your LOB. The product definition and technical planning is out of scope.
- Accountable for the overall strategy and for driving the teams inside and outside of your organization to deliver expected results. Drive mindful discussion with business and technical stakeholders that lead to timely decisions. Participate in discussions to drive smart trade-off decisions that balance efforts, delivery timelines, features, and technical constraints. Identify and remove blockers and always find the path forward in challenging situations.
- Create plans that have a clear path to delivery. Solve for dependencies between agile and waterfall delivery efforts. Help your teams organize for delivery while maximizing resources for the greater good of the Digital organization. Understand engineering best practices and apply best practices to the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Accountable for Design Reviews for Citi Agile and POR projects as well as Code Reviews for the NGA projects. Accountable for providing architectural guidance to the SDE’s based on best practices and in alignment with CTO guidelines and platform. Elaborate, promote and communicate Design Patterns applicable to NGA architectures and solutions.
- Elaborate, bring and communicate clear metrics on Design Reviews, Code Reviews, CI/CD and Design Patterns adoption.
- Communicate progress, anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, identify, assess, track and mitigate issues/risks at multiple levels. Recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialog to resolve them.
- Demonstrate the ability to implement continuous improvement and the induction of new technology. Demonstrate examples of influence in scrum teams beyond your own area of focus.
- Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm's reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency.
- 6-10 years of relevant experience in an Apps Development role or senior level experience in an Enterprise Architecture role with subject matter expert in one or more areas.
- Exhibit expertise in all aspects of technology by understanding broader patterns and techniques as they apply to Citi’s internal and external cloud platforms (AWS, PCF, Akamai)
- Lead resources and serve as a functional SME across the company through advanced knowledge of algorithms, data structures, distributed systems, networking, use of knowledge and experience to lead, architect, and drive broader adoption forward.
- Acquire relevant technology and financial industry skills (AWS PWS) and understand all aspects of NGA technology – including innovative approaches and new opportunities.
- Demonstrate knowledge on automating code quality, code performance, unit testing, and build processing in the CI/CD.
- Strong Technical expertise in key technologies including Salesforce, Java, Spring boot, Angular, and microservice design.
- Salesforce and Java certifications a plus
- Bachelor’s/University degree, Master’s degree preferred