This position is responsible for leading the development, procurement, testing and validation of Electrical Systems for battery packs, including the Battery Management System and Power Distribution System. The Principle Electrical Engineer must be hands on, enjoy working at the bench and have a focus on Safety and Reliability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, develop and maintain the Battery Management System (BMS), HV Bus and electrical signal distribution systems for Lithium Metal based Battery Pack Systems.
- Design or specify I/O signal conditioning electronics, thermal management controls, circuit protection and switching architectures between the battery modules and the Battery Management System (BMS), as well as between the BMS and the vehicle controller via CAN.
- Integrate connectors, sensors, switches, power supplies, micro-processors and electrically-driven thermal management components into battery modules and pack system.
- Formally release work products (specifications, designs) into use, including appropriate internal and customer-specific sign-off and release steps.
- Develop designs which meet customer-specific functional and performance requirements, while maximizing sub-assembly design re-use and tool re-use.
- Lead Value Engineering activities relative to electrical system design, including Design-for-Manufacturing (DFM) and Design-for-Assembly (DFA), and benchmarking of existing internal and public-domain designs to incorporate best practices.
- Develop product validation and verification plans at the module and battery pack system level. Assist in the development of comprehensive design verification and validation plans, including environmental testing, fixtures and acquisition systems.
- Perform Technical Design Reviews within Sion Power, affiliated companies, suppliers and customers. TDRs will be expected at the Concept, Detailed Design, and Production Sign-off stages.
- Lead Quality and Reliability efforts (e.g., DFMEA, Robustness Assessments, Key-Life Testing) relative to electrical design and manufacturing.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- BS in EE/ME required; Master degree or additional experience (i.e., beyond 10 years) is strongly desired.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in design, release, validation and production of DC electrical power, switching and signal distribution systems/networks.
- Prior experience in vehicle or large subsystem electrical system design, including HV Battery System controls.
- Knowledgeable in USCAR standards and component selection.
- Experience in circuit board design (Altium), low and high voltage wiring design, tooling and manufacturing.
- Experience in Aerospace, Automotive or Commercial Vehicle OEM product release processes strongly preferred, including Engineering Release, PPAP and PSW.
- Knowledge of Aerospace, Automotive or Commercial Vehicle HV Energy Storage System requirements.
- Working experience with Quality & Reliability disciplines (FMEA, 8D, APQP).
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation), with ability to discuss technical material with a wide range of audiences.
- Excellent skills in MircoSoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, & Word.