Years of drought, extreme heat, and 129 million dead trees have created a “new normal” in California that requires PG&E to change its approach to how it designs and operates the electric system. Extreme weather events driven by climate change are causing unprecedented wildfires. As a result, PG&E is launching the Community Wildfire Safety Program (CWSP) to reduce wildfire threats and strengthen communities for the future. The company is bolstering wildfire prevention and emergency response efforts, putting in place new and enhanced safety measures, and hardening its electric system to help reduce wildfire risks and keep customers safe. A key tool in the CWSP portfolio is the Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) Team, designed to de-energize portions of PG&E’s system during extreme weather conditions, to mitigate the risk of catastrophic fire.
Supports an effective assessment of Wildfire risk across the PG&E territory. Leads the assessment of the high-risk wildfire areas at PG&E in collaboration with stakeholders across the company. Contributes to defining the wildfire risk strategy including public safety power shutoff strategy.
- Serves as a subject matter expert (SME) for operational wildfire risk. Leads risk assessment efforts across line of business
- Provides process support, advice, and recommendations to ensure effective risk management within the business
- Works with line of business clients to develop, implement, and monitor appropriate risk mitigation activities and controls
- Supports development of best practices in risk management across line of business
- Develops and coordinates the preparation of presentation materials for various levels of management, including executives
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- 10 years of experience in risk management, wildfire management, utility operations, and/or related field
- Masters Degree or equivalent experience
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Certification in risk management, quality engineering, or safety engineering
- Extensive knowledge of risk analysis and assessment
- Knowledge of gas and/or electric operations business
- Strong communication skills for all levels of organization, both verbal and in writing
- Project management skills
- Ability to work across multiple functions and build strong working relationships
- Ability to facilitate decision-making
- Ability to synthesize complex issues into easy to-understand concepts
- Ability to influence varying levels of leadership and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities to completion.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to engage appropriate SMEs in problem solving teams
- Ability to multi-task and meet critical deadlines while delivering high quality work products