The Principal Data Analyst is responsible for the overall design of Unum’s Data ecosystem, including analysis and mapping, creating entity-relationship data designs that align with Enterprise Strategy and Architecture. The Principal Data Analyst will help evolve and drive Unum’s Enterprise Data Management Strategy and be a key player in defining the overall data architecture for Unum.
They lead the conceptualization, design, development and delivery of data solutions. They will be knowledgeable in third party/cloud solutions to ensure successful integration of the technology. They will be deep data subject matter and technology skillset subject matter experts. They lead the advancement of highly valuable and usable data assets for Unum.
The Principal Data Analyst plays a critical role in leading teams, mentoring data analysts of all levels and help grow future talent within the organization.
This candidate works closely with business SMEs, Business Analysts, Data Analysts, Principal Software Engineers, Technical Architects, and Application development groups.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand the data solutions architecture in Unum and make recommends on how to improve this
- Translate and transform business requirements into complex data models (conceptual and logical).
- Recommend architectural standard improvements.
- Identify and promote new ways to release value from data for the wider company.
- Partner with subject matter experts, architects and engineers to capture and analyze business needs to lead the creation of all data modeling related artifacts.
- Collaborate with the team to translate the logical data model into a physical database design.
- Ensure that all design documentation is up-to-date.
- Work with integration teams to ensure that the model design and development is properly communicated.
- Lead the development of enterprise data management standards and procedures, guidelines, and best practices.
- Lead the development of data quality requirements, policies, data rules, reporting, and remediation.
- Contribute to the refinement and standardization of data modeling practices to align with application paradigm (e.g. Business Intelligence, Transactional Processing, Big Data).
- Define and reinforce approved architectural standards.
- Mentor core resources as designated by team leader.
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
- Bachelors of Computer Science, with Master degree is preferred, or equivalent relevant experience
- 8+ years experience of successfully delivering large scale Data solutions across the enterprise
- Respected leader in how to maximize the value and business benefits from Data
- Expert in the Data Management discipline
- Highly skilled with data modeling concepts
- Strong SQL skills and strong data analysis skills
- Expert in Relational Data and UML Modeling
- Highly skilled in the concepts of Operational Data Store and Data Warehouse
- Strong problem solver
- Excellent communication, facilitation and negotiation skills
- Ability to lead a multi-skilled team or work effectively as part of a team
- Embraces change, helping teams to adapt to the unexpected, and focus energies, people, and solutions on practical and positive results
- Knowledge of Big Data/NoSQL platforms (i.e. Hadoop, Cassandra, etc.)
- Understand and utilize Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Data Management certification(s) is a plus (e.g. DAMA, IDMA, ICCP) is a plus
- Experience in the financial and insurance industry is a plus
- Experience with IBM technologies is a plus (e.g. Infosphere Data Architect, Information Analyzer, FastTrack)
- Experience with Agile Development Methodologies
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.