As a Principal Voice User Interface Designer, you will be designing the caller experience primarily for speech-enabled applications. You will work on, and often lead, a multidisciplinary team of colleagues and domain experts to discover user requirements, and to match those needs against customer goals. Among other activities, you will validate functionality choices; design intuitive and adaptive call flows; write natural, conversational, and personalized dialogs; anticipate user responses; define grammars; and direct voice talents in the recording studio. You'll perform Usability Testing with consumers to further refine functionality and design choices. As a Principal UI Designer, you will need to understand caller populations and work effectively with customers in a design-leadership role on each engagement, while simultaneously working toward the customer's financial goals and remaining the authority on best practices in user-centered design. Your successes will be measured by a combination of business targets you reach or surpass; your relationships with customers, partners, and the team; and the positive impression your designs leave in the minds of callers
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Discover and analyze requirements from both the customer's and the user’s perspective. Be THE advocate for the user amid shifting and often unclear business requirements.
- Approach design problems with a user-centered methodology and an understanding of best practices within speech-driven and complementary (mobile/web/tablet/desktop application design) contexts.
- Create personalized and intuitive UX designs that intelligently leverage existing data and respect the user’s time.
- Design speech interaction call flows; functional logic; conversational system prompts; and incorporate non-verbal auditory cues to match the established requirements.
- Assist in implementing your designs by interacting with developers, directing voice talents, and performing usability tests.
- Analyze performance of the user interface in the field with regard to performance metrics and caller experience, and recommend specific changes to improve caller satisfaction and transaction completion.
- Use your experience on your specific projects to augment our evolving body of best practices.
- Represent our UI approach and philosophy to top Fortune 100 companies.
- Design alternative solutions, evaluating them to choose the best approach. Meet and collaborate with customers, users, and development partners to validate conceptual designs.
- Support ad hoc project requests that may be unrelated to customer requirements or product knowledge (e.g., the preparation of workshop packages, demos, and conceptual mock-ups).
- Facilitate presentations and discussions with customers, users, and developers to drive resolution on proposed features and functionality.
- Maintain familiarity with other company products as well as competitive offerings to ensure thought and design leadership.
Perform tasks related to securing and keeping the products, tools, and processes that you are responsible for secure
Education: At least a Bachelor’s in a relevant field (Linguistics, HCI, Cognitive Psychology, or Computer Science); Master’s or PhD preferred.
Minimum years of work experience: 7 years
- Speech recognition software and/or telephony experience
- Creativity, strong logic skills, and the ability to work in a dynamic, challenging, and
- Native-level English fluency
- Strong Microsoft Windows skills, including MS Office
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to develop and confidently deliver polished presentations to customers and internal teams
- Availability to travel on-site with customers up to 15%
- Experience with Natural Language Voice User Interface design is a plus
- Audio engineering experience and/or experience working in a recording studio, as or with a professional Voice Talent
- Professional writing experience
- Project Managementexperience
- Experience creating UI/UX for iPhone and Android and an understanding of mobiledesign patterns and their application when creating UI task flows and artifacts
- Basic understanding of a programming language (e.g., Perl, Python, or Java).
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop / InDesign / Illustrator) or equivalent design software experience
- Near-native command of a second language.