VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) has a 90+ year history of technical innovations that have evolved to keep pace and address our customer’s most pressing business issues. We make equipment, software, and systems that help to plan, deploy, certify, monitor, and optimize all kinds of networks - like those for mobile phones, service providers, large businesses and data centers. VIAVI is also a leader in high performance thin film optical coatings and engineered diffusers, providing light management solutions to anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, automotive, defense and instrumentation markets.
We are the people behind the products that help keep the world connected – at home, school, work, at play, and everywhere in between. VIAVI employees are fierce about supporting customer success and we welcome people who bring their best every day to the company - to question, to collaborate and to push for solutions that will delight our customers.
The Principal Test/Metrology Engineer will work through the entire life cycle of the product to ensure products shipped to customers achieve data sheet performance specifications while meeting yield, quality, schedule, and cost requirements.
- Work upfront with R&D to define product data sheet specifications based on performance modeling and customer input prior to physical product.
- Leverage data sheet specification to select, develop, evaluate or justify new equipment to be used for test measurement that will be used for product validation, product characterization and production screening.
- Explore novel optical metrology technologies and work with suppliers on prototype development.
- Provide DFT and DFM direction to R&D from product concept and throughout new product development.
- Detailed project planning to ensure all optical test solutions are documented, debugged, developed, and deployed per schedule commitment (validation, characterization, prototype, pre-production, full production).
- Write detailed optical test plan based on data sheet specification and equipment capability.
- Host detailed technical test plan review with peers.
- Determine production test limits with guard bands and conditions.
- Work with manufacturing planning to ensure production can accept new test including volume ramp (equipment, hardware, etc..).
- Formally release test and associated hardware into production including test repeatability and correlation assessment.
- Setup binning in production if required.
- Establish production controls such as CPK, Maverick lot/wafers, good die bad neighborhood, etc…
- For test related customer complains quickly determine root cause and implement corrective actions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or other related technical discipline. Preferably Master’s degree.
- Minimum 10 years Optical Test/Metrology Engineering experience, both hardware and software.
- Experience in test automation (instrument control, data collection and analysis) using LabView, MATLAB or Python.
- Proficiency in statistical data analysis using Minitab or JMP.
- Holistic data-driven analytic approach such as experience with DoE, Taguchi Methods, Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), Measurement System Analysis or 8D. Detailed oriented.
- Written documentation experience such as test specifications, procedures, installation instructions, etc…
- Project planning experience.
- Experience transferring products from R&D to high-volume manufacturing while achieving performance, quality, yield, cost and schedule objectives.
- Communicates effectively with the team, interdepartmental stakeholders, customer, and contract manufactures.
- Demonstrates leadership skills and self-motivation.
- Ability to travel internationally on occasion.
- Knowledge of optical thin film filter metrology and characterization.
- Familiar with opto-mechanical design and simulation using SolidWorks, NX or other CAD tools: Zemax, Code V, LightTools, FRED or other optical design/simulation tools.
- Knowledge of industry standard test technologies and methods using test equipment such as Spectrophotometers (Cary’s or Lambda’s), interferometers, surface profilers, automated surface quality inspection tools and thin film adhesion testing equipment.
- Experience in spectral, polarization, absorptance, change in transmittance or reflectance with angle, out of band blocking measurements, laser damage threshold.