Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution. Principal Technical Specialist - Optical What You'll Do:
We are seeking a Principal Technical Specialist with optical laboratory and optical system assembly experience, to work with optics that will be integrated into complex space-based optical sensors for NASA and DoD markets.
In this exciting career opportunity, you will have a great deal of responsibility and opportunity and over time you will gain experience over the full life cycle of a project. You will also be expected to develop leadership skills as your experience builds. In addition, you will:
What You'll Need:
- Build custom optical measurement setups.
- Operate optical instrumentation such as Interferometers, Theodolites, Laser Trackers, etc.
- Working with teams of engineers to perform development, integration, alignment, and test activities on optical systems.
- Work in a team environment with optical engineers to develop and implement novel state-of-the art methods for the alignment, integration, and test of space-based systems.
- Make measurements and analyze data using basic math skills.
- Produce data packages and reports using Microsoft Office tools.
- Work in a cross-disciplinary environment with engineers and technicians from other engineering fields.
- Work in an independent manner with minimal direction and supervision.
- Able to supervise and instruct lower level technicians or junior engineers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 18 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 16 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor's or Master's, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education.
- Non-aerospace experience will be considered if the experience invloves handling optics, measuring optics or optical assembly and alignment.
- Working knowledge of Geometric, Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Experience working from concept through delivery of spaceflight rated hardware including data analysis and report generation.
- Multi-disciplined technical skills relevant to the build of optical systems (e.g. bonding, mechanical assembly, electrical wiring, precision cleaning, understanding of machining capabilities, space craft integration, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint. .
- Ability to work at all Ball Aerospace's Colorado campuses (Boulder, Broomfield, and Westminster) for extended periods of time.
- Current Top Secret (TS/SCI) clearance with a current favorable single scope background investigation is desired but not required. The ability to obtain such a clearance is required.
Future Clearance Required:
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
#LI-KR1Nearest Major Market:
Boulder Nearest Secondary Market: