How would you like to have a measurable impact on engineering processes across Amazon, design solutions that can reduce development cost, improve developer productivity, reduce time to market, and have room to grow?
eCommerce Services is seeking a seasoned Principal Technical Program Manager who will own and drive a high-visibility initiative to improve an engineering model known as Away Teams. Away Teams are software development teams that work on others’ systems to deliver a strategic project. For example, if the Amazon Prime team needed to change code owned by the Search team, they would be considered an Away Team.
To succeed in this role, you will have the soft and leadership skills to talk comfortably across organizations and levels, including the Consumer Technology Leadership Team and senior executives across Amazon. You will have the ability to Think Big so you can develop a vision and influence the roadmap for the program. You will be able to Dive Deep to uncover technical problems and work with stakeholders to design creative solutions.
In this role, you will detect, study, and evangelize best practices that improve the efficiency and success rate of Away Team projects. This program learns from teams across Amazon’s Consumer businesses worldwide and shares lessons with a community of engineers, managers, and senior leaders who are invested in the success of both the Away Teams and the systems they modify.
This role requires an in-depth understanding of software engineering practices that will guide your interaction with teams across Amazon. A successful candidate will have experience drawing data from anecdote, uncovering key insights, and influencing change.
· Drive program roadmap
· Present to senior executives
· Track and report on Away Team activity, success rate, and feedback.
· Build and curate a community-sourced repository of best practices and lessons learned from project outcomes.
· Dive Deep into projects to document and share success and failure case studies.
· Measure the impact to both System Owners and Away Teams of best-practice approaches.
· Evaluate long-term impact (e.g. architectural roadmap acceleration, outage minutes) of Away Team code contributions.
· 7+ years of Technical Program Management experience
· Software product development experience in a service-oriented architecture
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Strong problem solving and organizational skills
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
· Experience managing Away Team project activity and/or as a System Owner interacting with Away Teams
· Prior experience as a software developer
· Production-critical system ownership experience
· System architecture and design experience, including reducing service coupling
· Process improvement / defect reduction certifications (e.g. Lean, Six Sigma)