Climb to new heights on your journey when you start Defining Possible with Northrop Grumman. Enjoy a purposeful career in aeronautics that is crucial to the way we connect and protect our world across land, sea, and air. Bring your experience and take advantage of this opportunity to discover how you can start to push past possible and achieve your goals today. Enjoy a diverse, collaborative environment with professionals across the nation ready to help launch your career.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems (NGAS) has an exciting career opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer focused in the area of Low Observable (LO) Antenna Integration to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be at our Northrop Grumman's South Bay Systems & Specialty Engineering Center of Excellence (CoE) located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The Principal LO Antenna Integration Engineer will work within the Aeronautics Systems Survivability Directorate with a focus on a new Low Observable (LO) design to help us shape the future of the sector, the company, and our valued customers. As part of your assignment, you will work as part of a multidisciplinary engineering team to determine how survivability technologies can best be integrated into air-based systems within the NGAS portfolio. Specifically, you will be a part of guiding design, development, and testing of radio frequency (RF) sensors from initial concept to final integration & test (I&T) for the Survivability integrated product team (IPT).
- Apply previous antenna and LO design integration experience to develop an integrated antenna suite.
- Work under the limited guidance of a technical lead and with another IPTs to review antenna suppliers' offerings.
- Perform RF model-based trade studies for selected sensors.
- Generate component specifications based on platform requirements, and collaborate with the supplier(s) to develop an air-based integrated system that meets Radar Cross-Section (RCS) metrics.
- Work with the partner IPTs, and support the transition of the antenna designs to prototype hardware delivery and validation and verification (V&V) testing against RCS metrics.
- Present findings and technical data to the IPT Lead and the Chief Engineer.
The selected candidate should thrive in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, and collaborative/team settings across all levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university and 5 years of experience, OR a Master's Degree in a STEM discipline and 3 years of experience.
- Understanding of antenna design and RF theory.
- Understanding of Low Observable (LO) antenna integration on survivable platforms (such as material solutions, subsystem integration) and its influence on the system level signature.
- Ability to work with internal support organizations such as Global Supply Chain and Security
- A current active U.S. Government in-scope DoD Secret security clearance is required to start, with the ability to obtain and maintain Special Program Access (PAR/SAP).
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university and 3 years of engineering experience.
- Technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas: electromagnetics, radar design, computational electromagnetics (CEM) analysis, antenna integration, near field test, far field test, S-parameters, radar cross-section (RCS) testing, RF power link budgets, model-based RF simulations, analog or digital signal processing, radomes, electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) sensors, and/or EO/IR windows.
- Proficiency in RF modeling and testing at an indoor/outdoor RCS/RF test facility
- Familiarity with supportable LO for LO antennas
- Familiarity with decomposing and maintaining traceability of system level requirements to multiple antenna systems.
- Ability to will communicate requirements, technical abilities and analytical/measured results across the engineering disciplines and with internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office with strong technical writing skills, technical proposal development, and the ability to communicate and present technical material to various stakeholders