Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Principal Systems Engineer – Tactical Solutions SEIT
This position will report to the Manager of Tactical Solutions Systems and Test Engineering.
What you'll do:
- Exercise a high degree of technical and leadership expertise in the systems development of LiDAR components and systems, contributing through the entire lifecycle from initial concept development through the final system verification and test.
- Work with other engineers in a cross disciplinary collaborative environment developing and implementing LiDAR systems designed for science, defense, intelligence, and commercial customers.
- Manage relationships between Ball Aerospace, the Government or Prime Contract client and the Ball Aerospace subcontractors and suppliers.
- Assist with business development activities responding to RFIs, generating briefings and white papers, and contributing to proposals and proposal evaluations.
- Generate preliminary and detailed LiDAR specification documents.
- Lead teams of engineers during system and sub-system development and participate withsystem level qualification and verification testing.
- Support technical reviews including major milestone reviews through generating slides, presenting briefing charts and providing system level expertise.
- Will occasionally work hands-on with the hardware, troubleshooting or supporting development or test activities.
- Perform studies and analysis relating to LiDAR concepts, systems, and testing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships contributing to a positive and productive work environment within the Systems Engineering and Test Department, Ball Aerospace Strategic Business Units, and Ball Corporation.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Supervise and mentor junior engineers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, or a related technical field is required plus a minimum of 12 years of related experience. An advanced degree is highly desirable.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degreemust be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proven technical and leadership experience and strong customer interfacing skills.
- Strong background in systems engineering and LiDAR including system requirements development, architecture definition, design, assembly, and integration and characterization of completed systems. Awareness of system-level issues and their impacts on system architectures.
- Proven track record in delivering results with resource constraints including: cost, budget and schedule.
- Ability to develop relationships with key customer, program, and engineering personnel from Government, Prime Contractors and academia.
- Business development skills including proposal writing and successful client communication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Current Top Secret clearance required. SSBI is highly desireable.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.