Thales InFlyt Experience products offer end-to-end solutions that support our customers before, during and after the flight. Thales supplies in-flight entertainment and connectivity experiences to more than 60 airlines around the globe and as a trusted airline partner is committed to building its position as an industry leader. We are proud that our InFlyt Experience systems are used by over 274 million passengers a year.
We are currently looking for a Principal Systems Engineer- Design Authority to join Thales in Irvine, California or Melbourne, Florida. The Principal Systems Engineer – Design Authority will be responsible for providing technical oversight and leadership within Thales InFlyt Experience as part of the organization that fulfills primarily Design Authority (DA) and Design Authority Product Line (DAPL) primarily and acting Project Design Authority roles secondarily.
- Serving as a Design Authority as defined in Chorus 2 with a specialty in Software definition, architecturedesign, implementation and testing strategies.
- Plays a key role in the Design Authority network including the development and evolution of the Design Authority (DA) and Project Design Authority (PDA) roles. As DA, reviews and approves the technical solutions proposed in a Bid or Project or for a Product Development in accordance
- Identifying technologiesdesired by airline customers, Product Line Management or OEMs and evaluating the impact of these technologies on commercial aircraft.
- Assists in identifying the resources (technical, partnerships, financial) that will be required to pursue the incorporation of these technologies into our systems
- As a DAPL / Project DA, performing most of the upfront technical activities related to specification, System SW architecture and high level design definition, supplier selection and IVV strategy required to develop high quality and availability systems:
- Define and consolidate technical requirements working with PLM and Aircraft manufacturer/Customer
- Participate in the development of high level design artifacts (Standard SW reference architecture, high level SW requirements, variability analysis and modeling) to meet these needs
- After Product Launch, work with the assigned PDA and monitor implementation activity in coordination with the System/software/hardware-installation/certification departments or outside subcontractors to ensure consistency with Product Policy and facilitate arbitration
- Providing technical support and guidance for proposals, internal and external product development, supplier evaluation and selection, and other business related activities
- Participating in the development, enhancement, and implementation of effective processes within Thales InFlyt Experience working with the technical community.
- Assist in identifying and resolving technical conflicts or inconsistencies within or between various Thales InFlyt Experience organizations. When required, organize ad-hoc reviews to evaluate issues and define practical steps to resolve these solutions with support from other DAPLs and Engineering and clearly documenting outcomes.
- Participating or leading Technical Discussions with Aircraft Manufacturers, potential customers and industry forums on topics related to new or existing IFEC Systems on new or existing aircraft models. This includes the preparation and/or presentation of technical materials to these bodies
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a science related field such as Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science
- 8-12+ years’ experience or Master’s degree in a science related field such as Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science with 6+ years’ experience
- Proven experience serving as Software architecture of complex systems, development and integration requirements
- Proven knowledge in Internet and/or telecommunications technology with strong emphasis on wireless networks
- Good knowledge with LINUX and/or Android operating systems and SW modeling tools (Enterprise Architect)
- The position requires a command of both written and spoken forms the English language. This position requires the holder to speak knowledgably and comfortably presenting technical approaches and concepts to audiences with a wide range of background and knowledge
- Knowledge in requirement management tools (DOORS, Jama, Polarion) and systems engineering processes applied in an Agile environment is a plus
- This position requires some experience in defining, designing, testing, installing, and troubleshooting software and systems
- This position requires experience in recognizing different solutions to technical problems, evaluating the merits of each solution as it addresses the problem being solved and clearly documenting the rationale behind the decisions
- The position requires exercising a good degree of initiative and independent judgment working mostly with the DA and Engineering community
- Self-motivated, critical thinker with strong technical background
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Job ID: R0022351