Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you’ll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
This position can be hired as a Principal Engineer (level 3) or a Sr Principal Engineer (level 4)
- Contributing to and leading specific mission, ground, or space vehicle systems engineering activities. This may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of complex specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities.
- Tasks may also include harness interface design, Command and Telemetry database development, and space vehicle configuration modeling.
- The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, and mission operations.
- Advanced analyses relating to mission and technical problems may be required.
- Position will also include responsibilities relating to integration, testing, and operational readiness of spacecraft and payloads.
- The role may include interfacing with external customer technical representatives, internal engineering associates and program management and may also involve technical responsibility for subcontracted flight components.
- Candidate may be called on to assist in new business activities such as conceptual design and analysis for proposals and funded studies and may include authoring sections for both.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering, or related STEM field.
- Technical experience in systems engineering and integration of space systems.
- Minimum 5 (level 3) years or 9 years (level 4) experience in aerospace systems design, development, manufacture, test or operations, including 2 years of technical or project leadership positions.
- U.S. citizen
- Ability to lead a system engineering team to develop system requirements
- Ability to evaluate and adjust system requirements in order to best meet program objectives
- Ability to develop and manage system interfaces to integrate multi-element systems
- Ability to translate program objectives and customer requirements into system requirements
- Ability to allocate requirements among multiple elements of an integrated space system
- Experience with system engineering requirement tools (SysML, CORE or DOORS) and processes
- Experience in requirements development and management processes
- Experience in development and maintenance of interface control documents and related processes
- Experience in space system testing and evaluation (flight and ground testing)
- Experience with various technical analysis tools such as MATLAB and STK
- Experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, orbital debris modeling, spacecraft attitude control, power systems and modeling, avionics or digital electronics design, risk analysis, optics, communications, rocket propulsion, thermal engineering, or spacecraft integration and testing
- Experience with Mission Operations for spacecraft
- Knowledge of Launch Vehicles, System Safety, System Reliability, Contamination Control, EMI, Space Environments (Radiation, Surface Charging, etc.), and Human Factors is also desired.
- Experience and/or training in Earned Value Management Systems
- TS/SSBI Clearance desired for certain positions