Candidate will work in a team environment with other quantitative, molecular and bioinformatics scientists supporting the discovery and development of Zoetis products, both those sold through the Genetics business but also in support of products from the entire portfolio. Genetics products encompass the range of genomically enhanced breeding values, molecular value predictions, Mendelian inheritance, parentage verification and breed composition across all species currently supported by Zoetis, but especially dairy, beef cattle and sheep. The successful candidate should have a strong background in statistics, especially Bayesian approaches, programming and other skills required to manage large data sets; and should be able to exhibit extensive knowledge of genomic selection strategies to create products for customers. The environment within Zoetis promotes novel approaches and the resources to execute a plan to completion, either within a team environment or as an individual contributer. Experience and successful completion of objectives are characteristics expected in the candidate.
The major duties will include but are not limited to:
- Provide expertise in the application of statistical analyses and quantitative genetics in genomic evaluation of phenotypes and genotypes, leading to the creation of genomically-enhanced breeding values for economically relevant traits across species.
- Develop, evaluate, and implement multiple novel statistical genetics algorithms, software pipelines, and predictive methods for the efficient analysis of large whole genome datasets for building DNA-based diagnostic products in livestock populations.
- Development, as a member of a team, innovative statistical approaches to build predictive equations for the genetic improvement and management of livestock.
- Evaluate strategies to incorporate DNA marker effects into livestock genetic evaluation systems and summarize, document, and publish genomics prediction results as well as lead the team in the proposal and implementation of scientific and technological developments in statistical modeling applications for livestock production systems.
- Assist VMRD Genetics R&D leadership in strategic planning for the development and implementation of solutions in commercial settings, and build relationships and collaborate with research partners for implementation of new projects.
- Demonstrate willingness to incorporate new knowledge into projects and strategies to create robust and value-based products.
- PhD degree in Animal Science, Quantitative Genetics, Statistics, Bioinformatics, or similar field and 4 years of additional experience.
- Strong understanding of statistical methods and tools used in estimation of breeding values, especially single step methodologies, and genome-wide association studies for production, reproduction, health, and other economically relevant traits in livestock species.
- Excellent programming skills and experience in Fortran90, Perl, C, C++, C#, and/or Java in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience in working with databases and large data sets.
- Experience in using DNA markers for genetic evaluation.
- Strong communication skills- both verbal and written.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse personalities.
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently