The Schwab Advisor Center (SAC) Technology team is looking for a talented and driven technology architect to be part of the team to provide strategy and material contribution to the future state solution at Schwab. We are looking for a results-oriented technology leader with a strong track record of architecting enterprise solutions and helping software engineering teams deliver business value through technology.
The Advisor Services Technology (AST) group within Schwab Technology Services (STS) is responsible for the applications, services, platforms and technologies required to deliver a suite of products, including Schwab Advisor Center, Schwab Advisor Portfolio Connect, Schwab Intelligent Integration and variety of key capabilities and tools to Registered Investment Advisors (RIA’s).
Schwab Advisor Center (SAC) is Schwab’s premier custody platform supporting over 7500 Registered Investment Advisors (RIA’s). Schwab Advisor Center Core platform engineering team is responsible for platform engineering, product engineering & enhancements, modernization & maintenance for Schwab Advisor Center (SAC), collaborating across a matrixed organization to deliver business value with efficient technology solutions.
We are looking for a Principal - Technical Director (Architect) who will provide technical leadership to the SAC organization in evolving and modernizing our existing suite of solutions to provide best in class experience for the RIAs. Focus & goal of this role is to establish a solid baseline architecture and roadmap that help us achieve the goal of standardization and simplification of the applications and services through the modernization and other initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in software engineering, architecture strategy & roadmaps, leading large-scale delivery efforts in a fast-paced, agile environment and must be capable of influencing across the enterprise and partnering with, technology leadership and business stakeholders to drive product vision and execution. The role requires a deep understanding of industry trends and working with Enterprise Architecture and technology organizations across Schwab to align with enterprise technology strategy, standards, best practices, and complying will all governance requirements.
This is an Individual Contributor role and requires strong leadership through collaboration and influencing across the enterprise. This position reports directly to the Senior Managing Director of Schwab Advisor Center Core platform technology.
What you are good at
The primary responsibility of the Technical Director - Architect is to provide technical leadership and direction to a large software engineering organization focused on delivery and platform modernization. As part of this role you will:
- Assess the current state of architecture and determine its future state with associated roadmap in order to support the business and technology objectives
- Develop and provide prescriptive guidance for establishing consistency in service design & API specifications
- Evolve the usage of Architecture Patterns, Building Blocks, Reference architectures, Guidelines, etc that serve as the critical input to building consistent and standardized solutions
- Work closely with Sr Leadership, tech leads, development/SDET engineers, scrum masters, and project management to ensure that all stakeholders have the necessary direction and feedback to deliver product features at regular intervals, on-time, and with high-quality.
- Understand and align with business goals, and communicate to senior business and technology leadership is an essential component of the role.
- Have a passion for emerging technologies and be capable of influencing and inspiring the organization in developing innovative solutions that meet business needs.
- Create an engaging and influencing set of guidance to help implement architecture governance processes
- Partner with business product partners, technology owners and domain architects
- Provider leadership and subject matter expertise in design and execution to meet both functional and non-functional requirements in alignment with overarching strategy and roadmap.
- Ensure technical integrity and consistency of the solution
- Understand/interpret solution requirements and align architecture & design to target state
- Oversight for all architecture changes for compliance with standards and alignment with guidelines and blueprints
- Mentor and guide development teams & tech leads
- Key deliverables will include, but not limited to, developing System Architecture Document (SAD), Contextual and conceptual views for the application(s), Technology plan(s), Architecture review & design, Code reviews, API & Security Champion.
What you have
- At least 10 years of software architecture experience focusing with diverse experience in various architecture domains (business, application, data, infrastructure & security)
- Strong customer focus and architecture management mindset
- Experience developing architecture guidance that is engaging for the audience with attention to the details
- Strong track record of technology leadership, architecting solutions, and influencing
- Full life cycle experience in application development, deployment and operations
- Leadership qualities which engineers recognize and respect
- Ability to work under stress and exercise good judgment
- Broad knowledge of Web technologies: languages, frameworks, techniques, industry trends, etc
- Experience in working with both IT leadership and technology staff to provide the right level of guidance and help to achieve delivery objectives
- Keen understanding of services-oriented architectures and their evolution through the years
- Experience in building and delivering strategy presentations to senior executives
- Familiarity with Enterprise architecture management tools such as Application Portfolio Management and Enterprise Architecture frameworks, (such as TOGAF), artifacts they prescribe and the relationships amongst them
- Knowledge of the principles, costs, models, standards and best practices of Technology Management, IT functions, processes and projects.
- 10+ years of hands-on software engineering experience (.NET Core preferred).
- Experience architecting, modernizing and developing cloud-based or cloud-ready omnichannel platforms, responsive/adaptive web design and iOS & Android mobile experience (XCode, Swift, Kotlin) strongly preferred.
- Experience with Agile development, TDD/BDD, CI/CD and Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, Bitbucket) preferred