Candidates for this position will work as member of the Commercial Product Delivery & Support team and will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a comprehensive understanding of IHS Markit's major application platforms and the component systems on which they depend. He/she will provide implementation and operational design support for a broad range of infrastructuretechnologies.
The Principal Solution Architect will focus on end-to-end performance of individual component systems and will work across the Infrastructure and Information Security organizations to identify ways in which the availability and resiliency of these applications can be enhanced. He/she will assist these organizations in establishing operational practices for managing overall performance and availability through the comprehensive and consistent monitoring, event correlation, release management, security management, capacity management, and disaster recovery.
The Principal Solution Architect will work closely with the Product Design & Development (PD&D) organization, advocating design decisions that will reduce the complexity and technical debt of IHS Markit's existing systems and to improve the resiliency and supportability of future systems. He/she will influence the infrastructuredesign needed to host those applications through his/her knowledge of deployment and operational best practices.
Success in this position will require a broad knowledge of the principles of infrastructurearchitecture and design including technologies such as web hosting, database solutions, virtualization, networking, storage, security, and desktop environments. The candidate must be a team player able to collaborate effectively with colleagues globally. The candidate must possess soft skills including a positive attituded, strong work ethic, excellent verbal and written communications, people skills, creative and abstract thinking, negotiations, results-driven project management, business acumen, and the ability to lead and influence others.
General Job Requirements
- Responsible for build-out, configuration, deployment, scale, orchestration and monitoring in supporting infrastructure and the release pipeline for global commercial software platforms.
- As a key member of an agile development team, the candidate for is role must bring expertise in IT best practices and operations.
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate experience in large scale production environments covering a diverse ecosystem of platforms, frameworks and operating systems.
- Candidate must exhibit a passion for learning new and diverse tools and technologies. Candidate must be comfortable in driving Continuous Integration / Deployment initiatives, internally and in both the Public and Private Cloud.
- Assist in defining architectural and infrastructuretechnologies for the business and in identifying areas for development.
- Manage major projects and assist various teams to resolve issues and plan for new applications and services.
- Provide technical support and problem resolution on very complex technical issues.
- Identify and recommend opportunities to improve and enhance communication services to internal and external customers.
- Mentor other Solution Engineers.
- Perform other duties as required.
Specific Job Requirements
- Team member role in on-time, high quality delivery of products thru the entire application lifecycle.
- Expert level background in Linux and Windows Server administration.
- Lead the automation and streamlining of our infrastructure, operations and deployment processes. Ability and willingness to champion infrastructure as code.
- Knowledge of tools and automation-based monitoring of production environments to provide proactive alerts on system health and reliability.
- Assist in the development our microservice strategy including design, technology decisions and implementation.
- A working understating of code and script creation of configuration templates.
- Participate in the software development process as defined by the AgileScrum process. This includes participating in the requirements gathering process.
- Troubleshooting and resolving root cause issues in our Dev, Test and Production internal and cloud environments.
Desirable Personal Qualities
- Passion for DevOps – enthusiasm for new technologies and their potential to make an impact.
- A bias to action – a willingness to “jump right in” with an emphasis on producing results.
- Highly collaborative – an affinity for solving complex problems through dialog with team members.
- Curiosity – always seeking the “why’s” and “how’s” in the interest of continuous learning and the mastery of a craft.
- Innovation – the courage to challenge prevailing assumptions and suggest better ways of doing things to achieve business value.
- Comfortable with ambiguity – can begin to explore and solve complex problems even when the problem and solution are not always well defined.
- Degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years’ experience in a specific area of IT, including Network Technologies, Storage, Servers, Database, etc plus at least 4 years’ experience in a DevOps role.
- 10+ years experience in both Linux server administration as well as Windows Server administration.
- In-depth understanding and experience in multiple technologies.
- Ability to demonstrate bash shell and PowerShell CLI scripting to manage node-based configurations.
- Ability to demonstrate experience with configuration and automation management tools such as Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet and/or equivalent.
- Ability to demonstrate experience with container-based services such as Docker and Docker-based deployment frameworks.
- Strong experience with infrastructuretemplating formats such as ARM, Yaml, & JSON.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a project team.
- Must be able to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Experience with cloud-based PAAS services highly desirable.
- Experience with Rally Software is a plus.
- Professional certification as warranted.
- Reports directly to senior management.
- Interacts with senior management throughout the organization in planning and developing technology services.
- Acts in a lead capacity on projects of all sizes, but has no direct supervisory responsibility.
- Interacts with other colleagues at all levels in the conduct of day-to-day activities.
- May be required to interact with external customers in a Technical Services role to help determine most efficient architecture solution.
- Actively participates in industry forums and user groups.