ABOUT THE ROLEOur mission is to be Commercial Real Estate’s modern operating system, the place where deals happen, customer relationships are nourished, and real-time market data comes to life. We're growing at an incredible pace and are looking for a Principal Engineer to join our growing team in New York City. Our primary focus is to hire smart and motivated engineers that are eager to continue growing, mentoring, and driving big projects forward.
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the VTS platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, working on a cross-functional team to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive and give hands-on mentorship and have opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
What You'll Do
- Lead the way by staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way to advance the overall state of technology for the entire organization
- Own key areas within our platform by envisioning, designing, creating, building and supporting. This infrastructure needs to operate with a high degree of operational excellence
- Support and mentor our engineers by being the go-to-person for questions but never be a bottleneck, see around the corner and anticipate engineers' needs, knowledge-transfer sessions and generally evangelize the platform
- Be responsible for software architecture including determination of current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of major components
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards and best practices for the team
- Create technical requirements, software design specifications and other forms of architectural documentation
- Perform code reviews and have your code reviewed by peers
- Investigate and resolve application issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies
- Be responsible for mentoring a highly skilled set of software engineers at all levels
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders to ensure that the most informed decisions are being made.
- Play a critical role in planning, working closely with senior leaders to develop plans, resource requirements, and influence our long-term technical and business strategy
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with more than one area of deep knowledge and experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale, high availability and fault tolerant SaaS or consumer applications
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture
- Extensive experience with web applications development, web services, and distributed systems
- Deep understanding of system performance trade-offs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability.
- Extensive experience with database design, queueing, caching, containers, APIs, security and the operational aspects of running large systems
- Excellent planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling
- Extensive experience designing, building and owning large scale distributed systems
- Capable of driving and delivering thin slices of end-to-end functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong customer empathy and a focus on quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You’ll need to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.