Principal Software Engineer
at Qualtrics(View all jobs)Seattle/Provo
As a Principal Engineer for Qualtrics, you will be responsible for contributing to and leading the design of our system design efforts. You will contribute substantially to initiatives such as the development of innovative new products, services, and features for our XM Platform. You will work with individual teams to ensure that all systems can scale to meet the ever increasing demands of our rapidly growing business. You will identify and pursue opportunities to integrate technical solutions across all Qualtrics teams. You will also be expected to proactively identify common problem spaces across teams and ensure we build best-in-class solutions to meet our customers’ needs without impeding the agility of individual business verticals. You will help drive the direction and overall development of a world class technology organization and be at the center of all key system level decisions.
You will lead and participate in design reviews, architectural discussions, requirements definitions and other technical activities as a leader within Qualtrics. You’ll have the opportunity to work on our most complex problems. You will also be expected to contribute to the health of our engineering culture.
You are a pragmatic visionary who can translate business needs into workable technology solutions. Your expertise is deep and broad; you’re hands on, capable of producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs.
As a Principal Engineer, you’ll be expected to:
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
- Ensure the quality of component architecture and system designs.
- Listen capably, and transcribe the requests of internal and external customers into clear and useful requirements.
- Contribute intellectual property through patent generation.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and exhibit and teach engineering best practices.
- Effectively research and benchmark Qualtrics’ technology against other best in class technologies and participate in technology adoption decisions.
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's of Science degree in Computer Science or related field
- 12+ years of relevant, broad engineeringexperience
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, high-quality SaaS systems
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in at least one major technical area: large scale Unix systems engineering, building complex distributed systems, building monitoring or management tools for large-scale environments.
- Experience managing complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
- Experience leading development life cycle process and best practices
- Experience with Agile Management (SCRUM, RUP, XP), Data Modeling, API design, Containerization, Networking, UNIX, and database or other storage and compute related projects
- Experience mentoring/training an engineering community on complex technical issues
- Experience working in a complex, service oriented software development.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level software engineer.