Principal Software Engineer
JobLocation US-MI-Detroit Job ID2017-4709 CategoryInformation Technology Business LineCMC Corporate
Who we are:
Meridian Health Plan is a family-owned, family-operated company of passionate leaders, achievers, and innovators dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our members, our providers and in the healthcare industry.
We provide government-based health plans (Medicare, Medicaid, and the Health Insurance Marketplace) in five different states (Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio).
Our employees work hard, play hard, and give back. Meridian employees enjoy: Happy hours, special events, company sports teams, potlucks, Bagel Fridays, weekly Executive Lunches, and volunteer opportunities.
A Day in the Life of a Principal Software Engineer:
The Principal Software Engineer is the technical leader for the design, development, implementation and support for Meridian Health Plan’s business application software solutions. Assist in technical strategy and device technology roadmap to achieve strategic goals. Ensure consistent use of shared platform components and technologies within Meridian application development. Lead software engineers in diagnosis and problem solving to identify and deliver software solutions to meet business needs.
This position works with project stakeholders to assess business requests and develops a deep understanding of the application. This position participates in all facets of the Software Development Life Cycle and their expertise is leveraged within each phase to optimize the delivery of software. This position engages IT Architecture and acts a mentor and leader to other software engineers.
- Design, develop and integrate high-volume, high-performance, high-availability system and software solutions using Meridian approved technologies
- Provide system and technology solution direction for complex business requirements
- Review, analyze, construct, and modify business application systems including coding, testing, debugging, and deployment
- Understand business and technical requirements; develop, document, and implement solution designs
- Propose and present technical solutions to Meridian Committees and Councils
- Work with otherdevelopers, architects, engineers, database administrators, business analysts, QA and delivery leads in project delivery and solving technical issues
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Ensure that deliverables meet or exceed functional, technical, and performance requirements
- Define and Participate with the benchmarking in metric-based operational excellence to establish SLAs for each of the various lines of business and implement best practices in proactive monitoring of software applications
- Follow and enhance established design, development, source code management, and deployment processes
- Consistently meet task deadlines while maintaining high quality of deliverables
- Take ownership of software throughout their lifecycle
- Actively engaged in one or more external industry forum or group to maintain knowledge of latest product offerings to provide advice and recommendations
Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related area or
- 7+ years relevant work experience
- 5+ years in a professional software engineering and/or systems architect role
- 3+ years’ experience in Object Oriented Programming and Service Oriented Architecture
- Demonstrated experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Experience integrating complex applications
- Healthcare IT experience is a plus
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- 7+ years developing enterprise or high performance applications
- 3+ years’ experience in web based UI or service oriented architecture
- Expert knowledge in all of the following: application development best practices, software development life cycle, code reviews, source control management, and unit testing