Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Principal Software Engineer, Network Management Platform
Fastly is one of the pioneers of programmable management and control planes. Our SDN stack has distributed components in the cloud and directly on the network elements. The Network Management Platform team is building a platform for network configuration and orchestration to empower autonomous systems. We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our team who is excited to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment. This role reports to the Engineering Manager, Network Management Platform.
What You'll Do
- Architect and design the next-generation network management platform that provides seamless integration of configuration capabilities for deployment and management of Fastly CDN
- Design and develop horizontally scalable and distributed software components of the management plane
- Design and implement control systems to manage the entire lifecycle of network services and configuration
- Work closely with Network Reliability Team to gather requirements and translate them into software features that can augment automation capabilities
- Collaborate with peers on exploring new technologies that can improve performance and scale of the management plane
What We're Looking For
- Hands-on experience with design and development of software components on Unix/Linux platforms
- Mastery of one or more mainstream programming languages like Go, Python, C/C++
- Experience with infrastructure as code systems like terraform and kubernetes
- Experience building continuous delivery pipelines that impact production systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate complex technical ideas across cross-functional teams
- Self-starter with a positive can-do attitude
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. You’ll be a good candidate if you have experience in SOME of these:
- Experience with deploying scalable workloads in public cloud platforms like AWS, GCP or similar
- Experience building management plane software e.g. OpenConfig, netconf or gprc
- Knowledge of key-value stores (etcd/redis) and Nosql databases (mongodb/firestore)
- Configuration management systems like chef or puppet
- Monitoring solutions like prometheus and grafana
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.