We’re looking for highly motivated and talented engineers who are passionate about velocity and automation. You will be responsible for developing the next generation of Packet Networking software solutions supporting Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and embedded applications for Layer 2/3 data networking, L2VPN/L3VPN/EVPN services on a wide range of host platforms. You will be working on a micro-services software architecture employing docker containers and virtualization technologies to offer disaggregated solutions to leading global service providers.
- Design and implement dataplane software (written in C and running over Linux) for a virtualized distributed system built on a system built on microservices based architecture. This involve provisioning of forwarding plane and managing various forwarding plane resources of varying capabilities. The forwarding plane functionality including IP/MPLS, L3VPN, EVPN and L2 Ethernet applications on various.
- Provide basic project management for own work or that of a small team, including effort estimation, project tracking, and status reporting
- Participate in various phases of product development cycle – product definition, design, planning, implementation and test
- Review product requirements and customer use cases
- Prototype and evaluate alternative solutions on target hardware and virtual platforms
- Deliver detailed functional specification and technical design documents for embedded software architectures and components
- Support developed features through product verification and customer introduction, providing training to field support personnel
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Kernel, cntrol plane software engineers from other Ciena teams/sites
- Product Line Management & Architecture teams
- Agile Scrum Masters, Product Owners and project/release managers
- System Integration/Test teams
- Customer support teams
Areas of impact
- Contributing new features to Ciena’s SAOS network operating system, enabling new customers and markets
- Enhancing SAOS support for new platforms in the Ciena 3000/5000 family, and 3rd party “white box” platforms
- Accelerating time to market for Packet Software products and features
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or foreign equivalent
- 5-10 years of experience (depending on level) in an embedded software development role, preferably in a data networking or telecommunications environment
- Proficiency in multi-threaded C/C++ programming in a Linux-like operating system
- Feature specification, design and implementation of data plane architecture in a commercial networking product
- Familiarity with L2/L3 forwarding plane such as switching/routing, QoS (shaping, scheduling, metering), link aggregation, protection schemes, Ethernet OAM, IP/MPLS
- Design experience with L3VPN, EVPN, Segment Routing.
- Understanding of docker, gRPC telemetry, Netconf/Yang
Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest– those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.