OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
In March 2020, OfferUp acquired LetGo, making the combined company the largest mobile marketplace in the U.S.
- 90M+ OfferUp app downloads to date
- Top 10 Shopping app in the App Store and Google Play Store for 4 years in a row
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando, and San Diego)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
About the role:
As Principal Software Engineer for OfferUp you will report directly to the VP of Engineering to lead and influence teams across our entire technology ecosystem. This will be the most Senior Engineer and the first Principal Engineer for OfferUp. You'll therefore be a key influencer for the future of the role at OfferUp by establishing the standards of the practice. With your vision, passion, and enormous skill, you will set the course for OfferUp Engineering to continuously evolve technically in support of business at a massive scale. Along with being impactful technically you will also lead and mentor Staff and Senior Engineers across all OfferUp Engineering teams.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Oversee the design, architecture and implementation of all new systems, with a strong focus of delivery to our customers.
- Use creativity and skills in combination with your leadership to innovate elegant solutions for problems at every level of our tech stack.
- Iterate quickly and ship code frequently.
- Lead a collaborative team to define the long term technology vision at OfferUp.
- Set best practices influencing not only the team, but the entire OfferUp Engineering Organization.
- Research and champion adoption and use of new technologies within OfferUp.
- Maintain a high operational excellence with a dedication to reliable, maintainable, exceptional products for OfferUp customers.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 15+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 4 were devoted to web services.
- 4+ years of experience in microservice cloud-based systems
- Experience performing data analysis and translating the results into business recommendations and requirements.
- Experience in working with data-driven applications at massive scale.
- Superbe coding abilities in Java, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language combined with deep knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- Experience with Cloud Architecture (AWS preferred), Containers, and Kubernetes.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or equivalent experience
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with anomaly detection, bot detection, machine learning, pattern recognition, and/or data mining.
- Experience writing asynchronous services in Java.
- Experience with GraphQL, Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence, React Native, Node.JS.
- Knowledge of Gradle, Terraform, JMeter, Docker, Kubernetes, and other leading-edge technologies