The Principal Software Engineer is considered an internal subject matter expert providing engineering direction and guidance to senior management and cross-functional project teams. Acts as a lead engineer providing technical oversight and mentoring to other team members. Works on significant and unique issues that impact design or selling success and/or address future concepts, products, or technologies. Focused on short and long-term goals and objectives, work is considered critical to project success.
- Create and maintain new features end-to-end across an entire product, from inception to design to implementation to deliver to the customer.
- Collaborate with product/program managers and business stakeholders to offer the most appropriate technical solution to customer requirements. Recommend options when a proposed solution is not technically feasible, cost-effective, or impractical in the desired timeframe.
- Lead major product architectural decisions, design and implement fault-tolerant, high availability, low latency storage solutions.
- Contribute to developing loosely-coupled, RESTful service-oriented architectures with a bias for simple, elegant solutions.
- Design services and create APIs from scratch based on vetted customer requirements.
- Select and integrate Open Source solutions, programming languages, storage technologies, and third party hosted solutions.
- Perform dev-ops to drive continuous improvement with operational metrics and maintain low, live-site overhead.
- Analyze the complex technical architecture across iStreamPlanet's platform and infrastructure to understand the underlying driver of high availability and lead the assessment of all failures to determine root causes and drive fixes.
- Provide technical oversight and mentoring to other team members.
- Advocate and drive improvement of the team's agile development processes.
- Lead small teams in the implementation of customer and system solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in technology or software-related field of study or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience leading individuals and teams.
- Strong understanding of one or more industry-standard languages (e.g. Go/C/C++/C#/Java/Swift/Python).
- Proven experience with multiple compilers and operating systems.
- Experience working with Open Source solutions.
- Experience with industry-standard database technologies (e.g. MongoDB, Cloudata or cloud solutions from AWS, Google, etc.).
- Demonstrated technical leadership including experience designing whole products from scratch and the ability to vet design, architecture, and customer requirements.
- Experience working in virtualized, cloud environments.
- Highly competent design skills utilizing patterns and frameworks.
- Ability to ramp up on distributed architectures quickly to understand important scalability and reliability issues and apply data to inform and improve those issues.
- Proven ability to work and problem solve independently/collaboratively, to organize workload and priorities, high-quality execution, technical innovation/adaption, and initiative.
Nice to Have:
- Master's degree in technology or software-related field of study or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of AWS, CloudWatch Kinesis, S3, or similar solutions.
- Experience developing web-based UI.
- Experience architecting, designing, and building large scale distributed systems.
- Strong understanding of industry-standard network principles (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, Multicast, DNS, Virtual LAN, RTP, SSL/TLS).
- Experience with socket programming.
- Experience with any of the following: certificate generation/validation, scalable storage technology, X.509 certificates/certificate chains/ digital signatures, and AES/SHA1/SHA2/RSA algorithms and PKI fundamentals
- Flexible work hours and work from home options
- Accessible and transparent leadership team
- Paid time off every year to volunteer and generous paternity leave
- Medical, dental, vision benefits, 401(k) plan with a company match
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands