The Development Platform & Infrastructure (DP&I) team within Expedia Group strives to provide our internal developer community with the tools and services required to deliver world-class experiences to our customers, the travelers, with as little friction as possible. We’re looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to join the DP&I family, as part of the Runtime Orchestration Platform group tasked with building a suite of capabilities in the traffic management, container compute and API management spaces.
As a Principal Software Development Engineer, you will play a key role in crafting the strategic technical goals for our group. You will propose, prototype, design and implement various core components in partnership with teams across the globe. You will provide technical thought leadership for a dynamic and growing engineering organization. You will work alongside a talented group of product managers, architects, and engineers to deliver best-in-class capabilities to our Expedia developer community, and as a result help shape the future of online travel.
What you’ll do:
- Design, build and support scalable resilient solutions using cloud-based technologies in an iterative agile environment
- Collaborate across product management, architecture, and engineering teams to deliver capabilities that enable our developer community to function at a high capacity
- Supply thought leadership, architectural and technical direction to product vision and roadmap development and ensure that our technical teams understand their strategic goals.
- Drive proof of concepts and pilots to accelerate the exploration and onboarding of new technologies and solutions to tackle tangible business problems.
- Guide teams in using technologies within our Runtime stack. Technologies we currently use include (but are not limited to) Java, Go, AWS, Docker, Nomad, Kubernetes, Istio, Traefik and Helm.
Who you are:
- Technical leader with experience mentoring developers and helping to drive engineering maturity
- Excellent hands-on coder who understands and appreciates bigger picture architectural and business concerns.
- Clear communicator with the ability to concisely explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences in both verbal and written form.
- Solutions provider who uses data and insights to support recommendations and influence decisions
- Creative problem solver with the ability to recognize opportunities to innovate and engage partners in a vision and strategy.
Nice to haves:
- Experience building self-service technology platform capabilities, and are interested in the container compute, traffic management or API management space(s).
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related engineering field.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress