The position We are looking for an outstanding Principal Scientist II in the area of nucleic acid chemistry and sample preparation.
The main responsibilities will include research and development in the areas of novel reagents and protocols for automated nucleic acid sample preparation, molecular diagnostics assay technologies, various analytical processes and methods as well as participation in cross-functional projects across the entire R&D organization.
The Principal Scientist II will lead a team of 3-5 scientists, provide general expertise in nucleic acid chemistry purification techniques, and participate in development and evaluation of new technologies and products.
- Aligns project and team goals with the company’s business vision.
- Develops product concepts aligned with customer requirements and product specifications, and translates them into focused scientific activities.
- Plans, designs, and executes advanced independent or multi-disciplinary research/development experiments driven by strategic business needs.
- Manages projects and team, provides scientific/technical direction, and designates accountability for product research and development activities. Gives people assignments and training to develop their abilities.
- Serves as a subject matter expert at various management levels. Prepares timelines and assessments of project progress and critical factors, and establishes priorities. Assumes responsibility for timely completion of projects, and resolves technical issues.
- Ensures activities meet performance/quality expectations and are consistent with project critical path.
- Ensures technical activities under delegated supervision are conducted within of internal and external guidelines and regulations.
- Interacts with other departments to further project goals. Responsible for the transfer of prototype product technology and documentation from Research to Development and/or to Manufacturing. Provides information and assistance to other departments to support product scale-up, manufacture, launch and sales.
- Recommends new approaches, expansion or curtailment of project technical activities based on experimental results or new scientific information. Adjusts direction of research activities accordingly as scientific findings warrant.
- Communicates progress of efforts to Director and other departments to assure awareness of current status of projects. Provides top line review of experimental results, and secondary review of experimental data. Prepares comprehensive written and verbal project status reports, and written manuscripts for publication in some cases. Presents findings or comprehensive project status reviews at internal & external meetings. Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents.
- Influences senior management decisions that have an impact on business direction of the area. Makes decisions under consultative direction that have an impact on business direction of the area. Decisions have a long term effect on the objectives of the function and/or area.
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, or related fields and relevant post-doctoral experience are highly preferred.
- 8+ years of research experience with a track record of innovation and peer reviewed publications
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory management experience.
- Molecular diagnostics experience is strongly prefered.
- Hands-on experimental skills and demonstrated ability to translate innovation into products or proof of concept are required
- Experience in nucleic acid sample preparation technologies, next-generation sequencing, and POC diagnostics is highly desirable.
Security Clearance Required: No
Visa Candidate Considered: No
Base Salary - $102,600 to $128,
Full-time Benefits - Full
Relocation Assistance Available - Possible for ideal candidate
Commission Compensation - No
Bonus Eligible - No
Overtime Eligible - No
Interview Travel Reimbursed - Yes
7+ to 10 years experience
Management ExperienceRequired - Yes
Minimum Education - Professional Degree
Willingness to Travel - Occasionally
Does the candidate have at least 8years of research experience with 3 years of people management experience?
Does that candidate have extensive IVD (In-vitro diagnostics) experience?
Are they well versed in nucleic acid chemistry purification techniques with experience in demonstrated development with new technologies?
In this exciting opportunity, we are looking for someone who has experience working cross-functionally between research and development and activities supporting reagents and bringing them from protocol to launch of a product. This person will work closely with our Life Sciences Systems Development group as it related to reagent development and chemistry. We are looking for someone who has experience or is ideally ready for that transition from more of a lab focused position into more of a people management role.