Diagnostic testing is a compass, providing information that helps in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a range of health conditions.
Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools give you accurate, timely information to better manage your health. We’re empowering smarter medical and economic decision making to help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life. Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on Abbott’s diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of people.
Abbott is currently looking for dynamic individuals with a proven track record of innovation in the areas of molecular amplification technologies, detection technologies and/or sample preparation who will help drive the design and development of a novel diagnostic point-of-use platform. The Principal Scientist will lead and perform studies designed to drive the design, characterization, development, optimization and implementation of molecular amplification technologies onto novel point-of-use platforms.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Coordinate, drive and perform research and development studies to identify, improve, alter and expand molecular diagnostic technology offerings with a focus on sample collection, sample preparation, molecular amplification, and target detection
- Drive studies to define, implement and optimize the integration of the disparate platform components
- Initiate mechanistic studies to characterize the components of the molecular technologies
- Implement molecular, analytical, biochemical and biophysical methodologies to help analyze, characterize and optimize raw materials, critical reagents and clinical samples used for research and development
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with other scientists, chemists, engineers and manufacturing personnel
- Perform high level analysis of experimental results
- Provide data summaries, written reports and oral presentations to executives
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Ph.D. in molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, bioengineering, materials sciences or a closely related field
- Minimum eight years (Ph.D.) of experience in an industrial setting working in one of the described areas of expertise
- Demonstrated record of innovation (e.g., published papers and issued patents)
- Ability to implement ideas in the laboratory
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in analytical chemistry, biochemical, biophysical, materials sciences, bioengineering or molecular techniques
- Hands-on nucleic acid amplification and detection technologies experience, with isothermal nucleic acid amplification experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects with minimal supervision
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting capabilities, with good attention to detail
- Good communication skills, capable of communicating ideas to colleagues
- Ability to work as part of a team