About the role:
Our Research and Development team is all about building the future of the operating room and office for urology patients and clinicians. As a Principal R&D Software Engineer, you'll be at the heart of that mission, developing best-in-class capital systems and software as part of our comprehensive portfolio of solutions. In return for your unique combination of big-picture perspective, ability to execute rigorously, and strong desire to win in the marketplace you'll be a trusted leader collaborating with some of most dynamic minds in the business. All in an environment that encourages people to take measured risks, learn from mistakes, and push the boundaries of engineering.
- Leading software architecture, implementation, integration, and testing for complex, connected electronic medical equipment (“capital”) systems and systems-of-systems.
- Establishing best-practices for medical device software development and recruitment within the growing business franchise.
- Producing maintainable code and technical documentation.
- Collaborating with cross-functional and cross-divisional experts in a wide range of fields to solve complex engineering and business challenges.
- Translating highly technical results into easily understood recommendations that will influence senior stakeholders.
- Managing third party designers, vendors, and contractors to deliver high quality engineering solutions at an accelerated pace.
What we’re looking for in you
- 10+ years software development in lead roles, preferably in medical devices or a regulated industry with a proven track record of deployment in commercial products.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent with appropriate experience (Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, etc.). Masters preferred.
- Experience defining and implementing APIs and communication protocols for control and operation of instrumentation.
- Multithreaded application development that includes testing and debugging C/C++ on Linux.
- Experience working within an Agile software development environment.
- Experience in modern Source Code Management (SCM) tools such as git or AccuRev.
- Experience in Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) software practice in a regulated environment.
- Experience working within a quality system, IEC and ISO standards relevant to medical device software lifecycle and risk management (i.e. IEC 62304).
- Experience with filesystems, concurrency, multithreading, server architectures, and distributed systems (e.g. AWS, IoT).
- Experience with network protocols (TCP, UDP, TLS/SSL, HTTP) and web services (e.g. REST).
- Working knowledge of software security and data privacy best practices and risk management.
- Passion for understanding and solving problems for end users, with an ability to translate into software requirements, design, and test specifications.
- Passion for developing talent, mentoring, and building high-performance teams.
- Track record of strong cross-functional collaboration, influence without authority, and project management enabling highly effective project teams.
- Proven self-starter who runs towards critical issues, ambiguous requirements, or loosely defined challenges with a demonstrated ability to rally teams to achieve business results.
- Comfortable debugging complex integrated systems spanning hardware, embedded and application software in medical devices.
- Familiarity with deployment of AI models using platforms such as Amazon Sagemaker, Google Cloud AI Platform, or Azure Machine learning studio a plus.
- Familiarity with application of data engineering, data science, and database management a plus.
- Familiarity with computer vision toolkits (e.g. OpenCV) a plus.
- Experience in algorithm development and deployment using hardware specific hardware platforms such as GPU-accelerated programming, FPGAs, or microcontrollers a plus.
- Travel: 10%.