We are currently looking for a hands-on Principal R&D Engineer who approaches design challenges with creativity, intellectual rigor, and an effective balance of theory and empiricism; is proactive in their approach to problem solving; and is a collaborative team player.
Including but not limited to:
- Design, development, and test of a housings and interconnects for an implanted active electronic medical device.
- Design and development of packaging for external electronics used in multiple environments.
- Collaborate closely with the embedded electronics team on electronics packaging and with mechanical team and external partners on integration of the electronics package with the device and its delivery system.
- Design, construction, and programming of R&D test systems and product prototypes.
- Hands-on bench testing.
- Develop design specifications based on top-level product requirements.
- Develop and execute design verification tests.
- Design for compliance with the requirements of relevant standards and regulations, including EN 60601 and ISO14708 series and 21 CFR 820.
SKILLS & HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Design of FDA class III medical devices.
- Design of enclosures for blood-contacting implanted medical electronics.
- Design of mechanical components using SOLIDWORKS.
- Basic machine shop skills.
- Use of electronics test equipment such as oscilloscopes and DVMs.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Familiarity with thermal, electromagnetic, and electrochemical properties of implantable materials.
- Familiarity with numerical analysis methods in solid mechanics and electromagnetics.
- Experience using COMSOL, ANSYS, or other similar multi-physics simulation package for linked mechanical and thermal modelling.
- Experience with engineering programming in Python or Matlab/Octave.
- Experience designing with biocompatible materials including PDMS, PUR, PTFE, ceramics, Pt-Ir, and Ti.
- Knowledge of precision laser and resistance welding processes, and chemical machining.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
- BS in EE, ME, or materials science.
- 8+ years work experience, with at least 2 in an active implantable medical device application.
- MS/PhD in ME, EE, applied physics, materials science, or biomedical engineering.
- 5+ years in active implantable medical device design.
- Experience in a venture-funded startup environment.