About the role:
In Interventional Cardiology (IC) we design, develop, and produce technologies for diagnosing and treating coronary artery disease and other cardiovascular disorders. We have a robust product pipeline, and will continue to make an investment in Interventional treatments.
This role will be responsible for leading the Fluid-Structure design elements of the Mechanical Circulatory Support systems (MCS). This opportunity will provide the successful candidate with significant growth potential. MCS systems is a transformational growth area for the IC division with high visibility across BSC, building a new franchise. The program includes multiple embodiments of MCS to meet different clinical and patient needs ranging from High Risk PCI and Cardiogenic Shock to Advanced Heart Failure and involves complex systems and technologies.
Responsibilities will include:
- Being a core team member. Expectations include leading team meetings, creating agendas, developing experimental/project plans, making design related decisions, and communicating to teams and management. It also includes mentoring, guiding, and developing the technical team.
- Driving the product design: Understanding anatomy, disease states, clinical use cases and user interface requirements. This includes driving the definition of product requirements and specifications to meet the clinical and market objectives.
- Pump design including all component and system level specifications. The design inputs will incorporate any relevant research results of the technical team and include those of relevant industry and academic origin. The design inputs will converge in optimizing the device flow, durability, thrombogenicity, and hemolysis responses of the device. The impeller design will require familiarity with computational fluid dynamics, combining theoretical and empirical approaches, augmented by hands on testing experience, and results interpretation. Incorporate interaction of fluid flow with structural elements such as bearings and other support structures to address fatigue, wear and vibrational issues.
- Test method design including pump head pressure/flow, pump efficiency, and hemolysis. This includes knowledge and utilization of applicable industry standards.
- Collaborating with internal extended team members to plan and make design related decisions needed to bring the product to market including the process development function, quality, design assurance, manufacturing, regulatory, marketing, and clinical sciences functions to ensure project success.
What we’re looking for:
- PhD/MS/ BS in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related field with 2/4/6+ years of engineering experience respectively developing complex products.
- Strong mechanical engineering skills over a broad range of products/applications.
- Expertise in CFD and FEA design simulation tools and analysis techniques.
- Self-motivated with a passion for solving problems and breaking down complex programs.
- Ability to provide technical leadership as it relates to product and process design.
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on technical inputs from multiple and varied sources.
- Excellent organizational, communication and collaboration skills.
- Product development background in designing and incorporating impellers for (circulatory) pump products highly preferred. Familiarity with blood pumps, hemolysis, clinical use cases, anatomy, computational fluid dynamics, etc
- Class II or Class III Medical Device product development experience.
- Ability to research literature and develop clinical understanding with technical credibility to develop a strategy for regulatory submission addressing the relevant industry standards.
- Solid experimental design and statistical analysis knowledge.
- Experience with BSC quality systems and PLCP
As a global medical technology leader for more than 35 years, our mission at Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) is to transform lives through innovative medical solutions that improve the health of patients. If you’re looking to truly make a difference to people both around the world and around the corner, there’s no better place to make it happen.
Boston Scientific is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Disability, Veteran
Requisition ID: 427192