Complete and oversee completion of business development engineering work, primarily involving new and existing distribution systems and facilities, designing potential additions and modifications to the distribution system utilizing budgeted and allocated resources in an effective, efficient and professional manner and in compliance with applicable Codes and Company policies and goals. Supervise, train and develop a team of Business Development Engineers and Engineering Techs in the completion of business development design and construction projects. Key focus areas will be the design, approval and installation of large business development and GET Gas projects, with oversight responsibility for other growth-related facility extensions and improvements.
- Plan, design and estimate natural gas mains, services, meters and regulators to UGI system specifications for all new business facilities in a timely and efficient manner, reducing the cost to serve by applying least cost and continuous improvement methods for work throughout the assigned design region under the guidance of the Sr Mgr Business Development Engineering. Collaborate with area sales representatives and system planning to prioritize workloads and coordinate with area Operations staff to execute priorities.
- Supervise the design, estimation and project management activities of a team of Business Development Engineers and EngineeringTechnicians in completion of growth and GET Gas projects. Assign work within design team and report on team performance in project status, project turnaround time, authorization accuracy and execution of cost saving measures. Oversee development of engineering staff through delivery of developmental activities including progressive delegation of design assignments as appropriate.
- Provide input to the annual preparation of the Capital Construction Budget for design areas and manage implementation of allocated budget as required for growth and GET Gas project priorities.
- Communicate and work with outside engineers, contractors, municipalities, and State agencies to obtain permits and minimize conflicts.
- Enhance Business Development Engineering design processes through the development and maintenance of standards, guidelines, processes and procedures as assigned, collaborating with peers to standardize best practices across the design team.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of all applicable Federal (DOT), State (PA PUC & MD PSC) and local codes. Knowledge of the properties of natural gas as they relate to pressure and flow, and the principals which apply to gas facility design, installation and construction processes.
- Experienced ability to design and estimate construction costs for installation of natural gas services, approach main, and residential and commercial applications through the use of the Work Order Management System(s), DOJM, Design Manager, Avenir, Ingres/CMS, and MapFrame, along with any other relevant systems is essential.
- Knowledge of UGI’s policies and procedures, UGI’s tariff, gas codes, along with strong PC skills are highly preferred. Knowledge of UGI’s sales and business development processes is a plus.
- Engineering & pipeline construction project management competencies including knowledge of UGI contracting & operations procedures, environmental & municipal permitting requirements, Right-of-Way acquisition processes and application of other Project Management best practices to design & construction projects.
- Ability to motivate and hold accountable oneself and others in pursuing strategies and tasks, including changes and improvements. Ability to direct team activities to accomplish business development goal requirements with a least-cost and continuous improvement approach.
- Regular office conditions are the typical working environment for this position, though construction support responsibilities may expose the position to heavy construction machinery, gaseous environments, noise, temperature extremes, vibrations, dust and etc., that would require safety equipment, clothing, and procedures as outlined in the UGI Safety & Health Manual.
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering field. Masters Degreepreferred.
- Five years work experience involving engineering, project management and related technical experience.