Newell Brands is searching for a highly motivated Principal Product Development Engineer to play a key role in new product development efforts and implementing improvements to existing products.
The ideal candidate will be able to work in cross-functional teams, balance work on multiple projects, and manage to deadlines. The position will report directly to an Engineering Manager in R&D.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead new product development projects from concept though production launch.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Marketing, Channel, Consumer Insights, ID, Design Engineering, Test Engineering, and others) to research and understand consumer and customer wants/needs, benchmark competitive products, and develop innovative products that are cost effective and meet those wants/needs.
- Evaluate product concepts, designs, and drawings for mechanical function (e.g., fit, function, interference, stacking, nesting, etc.), manufacturability, packaging and material handling. Work with designers, process engineers, materials engineers, tool engineers, etc. to review and optimize.
- Work with Design Engineering to have product prototypes created and perform product testing for internal evaluation as well as for customer and consumer testing/feedback.
- Create and update product and quality specifications, test plans, sample plans, trial logs, timelines, project trackers, and other key documents.
- Develop and optimize product costs to maximize value and competitiveness.
- Ensure new products function properly and meet specifications, cost targets, and timing plans.
- Lead manufacturing trials, testing, measurements, and related documentation from initial tooling trials through production qualification (PPAP). Evaluate results using statistical analysis and propose/lead changes to product design, tooling, and/or process.
- Provide technical support for solving product quality problems as needed.
- Lead productivity efforts and implement improvements to existing products.
- Work on special projects as assigned such as competitive analysis and productivity projects.
- Travel as needed domestically and internationally (typically 10-20% of time).
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering or Plastics Engineering preferred).
- 10+ years of product engineering / project engineering experience.
- 7+ years of plastics injection-molding experience.
- 1+ years of design engineering experience using CAD (ProE preferred).
- 5+ years of consumer products experience.
- Proven track record of leading successful launches of durable consumer goods (on-time, on-cost, on-budget, on-specification).
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Experience leading projects with domestic and Asian suppliers.
- Experience with intellectual property and the patent process.
- Effective planning/organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Evidence of taking initiative and/or leading projects.
- History of working independently and as a member of a team.
- Experience indicating strong project management skills.
- Strong problem solving skills with evidence of systematic approach for identifying problems, root-cause analysis, and implementing the “fix”.
- Proven record of strong creativity and a sense of passion for product design.
- Proficient computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook, Project, PowerPoint).