Due to continued growth BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Principal Process / Design Safety Engineer to support modernization projects (new construction and retrofit) at both the Radford Army Ammunition Plant (RFAAP) in Radford, VA and Holston Army Ammunition Plant (HSAAP) Kingsport, TN. This position will also provide Engineering Safety support to manufacturing departments when required. BAE Systems manufactures chemicals, propellants, and other energetic materials including explosives at these two sites.
The Principal Process / Safety Engineer will be responsible for providing process and design safety support to assigned projects for renovation and construction of new modernized chemical and energetic production/support facilities at RFAAP and HSAAP. The Safety Engineer will also provide safety support to legacy manufacturing operations and safety committees as needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support project teams throughout the entire design, build, and commissioning activities by providing Design and Process Safety input and analysis to ensure a safe and compliant process.
• Ensure process design is compliant with applicable Federal, State, and Department of Defense regulations and requirements.
• Ensure process design eliminates or minimizes safety risk to an acceptable level.
• Participate in internal design reviews and Process Hazard Analysis meetings.
• Work closely with project teams to ensure completion of PHA generated follow up actions.
• Perform safety investigations as required.
• Develop a working knowledge of the common hazards related to processing energetic materials and how to prevent and/or mitigate those hazards.
• Provide technical safety support to manufacturing areas and management teams when required.
• Develop and maintain safety policies/standards related to process design.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Preferred Skills and Education