The Advanced Electro-Optics Design and Lasers Department is currently seeking a Principal Physics Engineer
in El Segundo, CA.
This position is responsible for designing and building laser assemblies, integration, and test for developmental and deliverable laser systems. Responsibilities include participating in multidisciplinary technical teams on cutting edge development and demonstration programs. The candidate will join a highly motivated group of laser physicists and engineers working on a variety of development tasks and deliverable products. The successful applicant shall be a highly motivated "self-starter" able to take action with limited direction, and execute on complicated laser and LADAR hardware programs.U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs to be able to obtain a US DoD Security Clearance within first year.Required Skills:
- At least 8 years of professional experience with a BS degree, 6 years of professional experience with a MS degree, and 4 years professional experience with a Ph.D.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: (1) bulk solid-state lasers, (2) fiber lasers, (3) LADAR or LIDAR systems and/or (4) laser system design
- Hands on experience with laser system development, assembly, integration and test efforts
- Ability to (1) to plan/schedule tasks (2) define hardware components, (3) interface with vendors, (4) perform data reduction and analysis, (5) document/report test results, and (6) deliver completed systems
- Proficient with optical alignment techniques and alignment tooling such as interferometers, theodolites, autocollimators and laser trackers with optical alignment techniques
- Experience with laser characterization tests such as beam quality, wavefront-error, laser noise measurements
- Experience with fiber optics and fiber optic components.
- Proficient in electronics, such as laser diode drivers, thermo-electric coolers, and power supplies
- Experience with program cost and schedule monitoring and reporting
- US Citizenship
- Ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance
- Ability to obtain SSBI
- 4 + years of experience in task management or other lead role on development and/or production programs
- Prior experience in Defense or Aerospace
- Experience with optical component inspection, cleaning and bonding
- Experience with fiber optics related equipment such as cleavers and splicers
- Software/programming experience with tools such Matlab, LabView, and/or Python
- Experience with optoelectronics, photoreceivers, and photodiode amplification circuitswith an understanding of photoreceivers noise mechanisms and heterodyne detection
- Familiarity with processes and principals of systems engineering
- Active DoD Security Clearance
- Active SSBI
- Bachelor of Science in physics, optics, or related field
- Master of Science in physics, optics, or related field
- Prefer PhD in physics, optics, or related field
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.