Job Description Summary
The Principal Packaging Engineer will work cross-functionally with Becton Dickinson Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Quality, Regulatory, Product Development, and suppliers to develop optimized, cost effective, and “sustainable” packaging for Medical Management Systems products. Develops new package requirements and maintains quality of existing packages for all product lines. Determines packaging requirements according to the nature of the product and cost limitations. Follow appropriate tools, performs integrity analysis of packages.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing package systems.
- Design and select primary and secondary packaging components and suppliers.
- Write specifications and technical reports for primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components.
- Coordinate and lead artwork/labeling development and approval process internally and with contract sites.
- Interface with Quality Group and external suppliers to conduct testing (including shipping studies) of packaging materials and packaged components to minimize product damage and ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines.
- Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures for all aspects of packaging. Develop/apply lab procedures for evaluation of packaging solutions.
- Work closely with external suppliers to identify continuous improvement opportunities for improving packing designs.
- All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
- Requires a Bachelor degree or equivalent in packaging engineering or related discipline, and a minimum of 8 years related experience.
Preferred Experiential Background:
- Experience with secondary packaging equipment (ie capping, bag sealing equipment, cartoners, labeling equipment) design, application, and use is a big plus.
- Experience writing and executing validation protocols for packaging equipment and processes.
- Must have ability to analyze and resolve planning problems independently.
- Should be a lean six sigma Green Belt at a minimum. Black belt preferred
- Effective verbal and written English communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills are a must.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on thebasis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Job ID R-332439