The purpose of this position is to provide technical support on optical design, optical simulation and performance characterization while working with cross-functionally with other teams to create excellent ophthalmic product solutions. This position investigates and evaluates existing technology and design new methodology, materials, machines or processes as needed for medical device development.
• The incumbent is required to carry out extensive research in optical design and optical metrology, primarily in accommodative and refractive correction research areas.
• The responsibility typically involves designing proprietary optics optimized for human vision and providing reliable optical metrology for performance inspection.
• The incumbent will play a key role in multidisciplinary teams consisting of members from Optics, Ophthalmology, Materials Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, seeking to restore vision and accommodation in cataract and presbyopic patients
• Internal interaction requires interpretation of complex information and external interaction requires exchange of factual information.
• Uses previous experience to identify the most appropriate option to adapt or improve existing approaches.
• Interprets information to make decisions impacting own scope of work.
• May lead design reviews and review action items.
• Acts as a mentor to lower level professionals. Operates within clear guidelines with regard to how to handle decisions outside direct experience. Issues arising outside guidelines or operating procedures normally escalated for resolution.
• Under general supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for planning, conducting and executing IOL(Intraocular Lens)-related research and development.
EEO Statement EEO Statement
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirements • Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent years of directly related experience (or high school +13 yrs; Assoc.+9 yrs; M.S.+2 yrs; PhD+0 yrs)
• The ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English
• 5 Years of Relevant Experience
• Experience with optical design, optical engineering and optical software like Zemax or Code V are required.
• Candidates with an advanced degree in Optics, Optical Engineering, Physics or a related engineering field will be given preference.
$80K - $85K