This position leads Sempra Energy's Corporate Development and M&A efforts to support the company's vision and future growth plans. The position provides in-depth financial, valuation, strategic, and commercial expertise of potential investment and divestment opportunities that align with Sempra's strategy. The position must be highly proficient in all technical aspects of M&A (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), and can solve complex and unconventional assignments assigned to the team. Additionally, this position acts as an advisor and must be able to effectively communicate issues and solutions impacting the company to Sempra senior management, including the CEO, COO, and CFO. Position requires minimal guidance / works independently, along with coaching junior-level analysts within the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Financial Analysis: perform advanced financial modeling to support acquisition and divestiture efforts, including pro formas, valuation, EPS accretion/dilution, credit, etc.; has the ability to model complex and nuanced transaction / financing structures, such as joint ventures, swaps, earnouts, non-conventional financing securities, etc.; advanced and thorough knowledge of valuation and financial concepts to supportM&A analyses; thorough understanding of Sempra's corporate structure with the ability to anticipate financial and economic implications of transactions at various levels of the organization; thorough understanding of various financial instruments and their uses and implications on financial metrics and rating agency treatment
- Strategic Analysis: exhibits strong creativity skills and ability to think outside of the box and find solutions; capability to evaluate issues from multiple angles, "connect all of the dots", and distill the issues and solutions into a clear, concise story for Sempra senior management and Board of Directors; ability to handle and analyze any project assigned, which can span several complex topics (e.g., financial, strategic, tax, commercial, corporate structure, corporate vision, etc.); exhibits commercial mindset specific to the industry and energy value chain
- Project Management: act as logistical lead for M&A activities, including negotiation, documentation, due diligence, project calendar, and other administrative processes; coordinate efforts in a proactive manner between internal subject matter experts, Sempra senior management, and external resources / advisors; ability to multitask and manage more than one project in parallel; develops critical interpersonal relationships
- Team Development: Coaches and provides clear guidance to develop junior-level staff on the Corporate Development team in all critical functions, including valuation, EPS accretion / dilution, industry / sector trends, financing structures, project management, etc.
- Strategic Plan Development:supports the Corporate Strategy function and Sempra senior management in the development of the company's annual strategic plan presented to the Board
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, or equivalent.
- Master's degree, MBA, or JDpreferred.
- Professional certification strongly desired (e.g., CFA).
- Typically requires a minimum of 8 + years of relevant experience, preferably with an energy / utility company or Wall Street / investment banking.
- Capability to act independently without much direction from Director / Manager of Corporate Development.