Principal Medical Writer - Remote within the U.S.
The Principal Medical Writer will partner with the Surgical Scientific Communications Managers & Specialists to execute clinical evidence dissemination plans with focus on the publication and podium needs of assigned therapeutic areas and/or products within Medtronic. Evidence dissemination plans are aligned with clinical strategy and Medtronic business objectives. This position will be responsible for the creation of scientific documents, including medical writing of scientific manuscripts/abstracts, development of podium/poster presentations, and development of other scientific materials which communicate clinical trial-related evidence to the physician community. The position will also interface with and provide support for external Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) who intend to publish/present on their experience with Surgical devices, as well as internal, cross-functional positions to ensure consistent delivery of impactful, evidence-based scientific messages across distribution channels. The ideal candidate will possess advanced scientific knowledge and a demonstrated medical writing skill set.
Our Surgical OU is one new, powerful operating unit bringing together the people and product portfolio of Surgical Innovations and Surgical Robotics. We'll approach the market with a unified approach from concept single strategy, capitalize on our global commercial capabilities, and prove the power of our combined portfolio.
With the Medtronic Mission as our North Star, we will build on our legacy of proven surgical solutions and advance the promise of robotics and digital solutions for the benefit of Medtronic and the customers and patients we serve.
Careers That Change Lives
One of the many ways we foster our inclusive environment is through our Diversity Networks and Employee Resource Groups. Our Diversity Networks leaders are teams appointed by our CEO. They champion programs and policies that advance more women and ethnically diverse employees into leadership roles. In the U.S., we have an African Descent Network, Asian Descent Network and Hispanic Descent Network. The PRIDE network and the Medtronic Women's Network are global communities. These unique networks are critical to ensuring the voice of the community is heard. They work closely with senior leaders and HR to create programs to further the advancement of diverse employees.
Location: Remote within the U.S. (This position will need to be flexible with work schedule dependent on candidate's location). Ability to travel up to 25% (Domestic and International, as needed). The position will require occasional travel (occasional scientific conferences or programs, quarterly team meetings); volume will be dependent on candidate's location.
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Execute clinical evidence dissemination plans with focus on publication and podium needs of assigned therapeutic areas and/or products within Medtronic.
- Prepare documents that support publication needs of assigned therapeutic areas or products.
- Writes and/or edits manuscripts on clinical studies and/or scientific reports including special summaries from raw data for submission to regulatory agencies or for in-company use, monographs, comprehensive reviews, scientific exhibits, and other projects requiring skill in medical communication.
- Ensure all Medtronic SR sponsored publications and scientific presentations meet ethical publication guidelines (ICMJE), as well as Medtronic's internal publication standards and compliance policies.
- Develop content (PowerPoint presentations) for Medtronic-sponsored virtual and/or "in person" educational symposia held at scientific conferences; manage the logistics of virtual programs in collaboration with the SR Scientific Communication Managers & Specialists.
- Drive use of and contribute to the improvement of the manuscript development process and tools for SR. Ensure all required documentation is in place for each project.
- Design literature searches using relevant key words, execute literature searches in collaboration with the Medtronic Knowledge Center, analyze results and write literature summaries as needed (related to manuscript or scientific communication activities).
- Develop & maintain bibliographies and data comparison tables.
- Develop and maintain an accessible repository (i.e., DistillerSR, Quosa) for relevant Medtronic and competitive literature, including journal articles, abstracts, and presentations as requested by the Scientific Communication Managers/Specialists.
- Assist in tracking and reporting on metrics related to SR medical writing services to Scientific Communication Managers/Specialists, Directors, and key business partners.
- Support activities of the Scientific Communications team at medical device congresses (virtual or "in person"), as assigned.
- This may include attending publication planning meetings with investigators in Medtronic clinical trials, executing Medtronic-sponsored symposia, and covering relevant scientific sessions.
- Follow the Medtronic Code of Conduct, the Scientific Communication Department Operating Procedures, and the ICMJE, GPP3, and ADVAMED guidelines.
- Compiles, analyzes, and summarizes additional data from other sources as needed.
- Prepares literature for new products, and revises existing literature.
- May prepare responses regarding company products, drugs, or diseases and refers in-depth technical inquiries to medical personnel.
- Additional tasks as assigned
- Bachelor's degree and 7 years of clinical/medical/scientific writing experience
Nice to Have
- An advanced degree and 5 years of clinical/medical/scientific writing experience
- PhD or MS with 5+ years of demonstrated scientific writing experience
- Experience at Medtronic or within the medical device industry
- Expertise in literature identification and analysis
- Knowledge of clinical research methodology, tools, and processes
- Understanding of statistical methods
- Project management experience/skills
- Adept in performing literature searches in Pubmed and other relevant platforms
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, and EndNote Reference , DistillerSR, or Quosa software
- Ability to critically analyze and interpret scientific data
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future. Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
A commitment to our employees lives at the core of our values. We recognize their contributions. They share in the success they help to create. We offer a wide range of benefits, resources, and competitive compensation plans designed to support you at every career and life stage. Learn more about our benefits here.
This position is eligible for a short-term incentive plan. Learn more about Medtronic Incentive Plan (MIP) on page 6 here.
The provided base salary range is used nationally (except in certain CA locations).The rate offered is compliant with federal/local regulations and may vary by experience,certification/education, market conditions, location, etc.