San Diego, CA
Industry: Pharmaceuticals & Biotech•
8 - 10 years
Posted 189 days ago
A Principal Medical Science Liaison (Pr. MSL) is a member of the field medical team, which serves as a liaison to the medical/scientific community and will be responsible for establishing, developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders within the geographic and therapeutic area of coverage. The Pr. MSL role requires extremely strong technical, clinical, and functional expertise that is above and beyond a Sr. MSL. A Pr. MSL will be able to maximize and leverage Key Opinion Leader (KOL) relationships by identifying mutually beneficial opportunities that meet the strategic needs of the MSL team’s internal stakeholders. The Pr. MSL will take a leadership role in projects and initiatives that increase the value and productivity of the MSL team and Medical Affairs.
Principal MSLs have five key areas of focus:
Principal MSLs have no sales objectives or accountability for prescribing or sales of any MNK product(s) and are required to avoid any situations that could create the appearance that they have such responsibilities.
• Build and maintain relationships with KOLs both inside and outside of your territory while ensuring the single point of contact strategy
• Support the application of brand strategy to a global KOL plan and ensures the KOL development strategies translate to individual territories
• Ensures that all MSLs in the therapeutic area have effective territory plans and is prepared for KOL interactions by partnering during pre-call planning
• Partner with medical information and Veeva to continuously improve responses and efficiency
• Member of the medical sub-team to identify areas of interest, draft directed insight questions, and identify actions to take based on results of the insights program
• Lead planning and facilitation of advisory boards and cross functional meetings
• As a member of the medical sub-team contributes to the medical platform and medical plan
• Contributes to strategic conversations outside of their own therapeutic area advocating for the company not just the brand
• Manages a portfolio of projects
• Mentors Senior MSLs
• Leads processes and programs that span across therapeutic areas
• Serve as a technical subject matter expert within a therapeutic area
• Facilitate and lead cross-TA onboarding program
• Support the creation and maintenance of training curriculum for assigned TAs
• Operates as chief of staff filling in for director when needed
• Teaches MNK values and ensures that they are built into our processes
• Must be committed to full compliance with all company SOPs, regulatory requirements, and applicable laws including PhRMA guidelines for field-based personnel.
• Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license
Experience / Skills:
• Advanced scientific degree (MD, OD, PhD, PharmD) or equivalent experience.
• A minimum of 8years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry, otherhealthcare environment or equivalent experience is preferred.
• A minimum of 5 years of leadership experiencerequired
• Thorough knowledge of medicine, treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, customer strategies, and FDA promotional guidelines, regulations, and ethical guidelines is required.
• Demonstrated ability to access and develop relationships with high-level stakeholders
• Ability to effectively communicate scientific content through 1:1 meetings, small group interactions, and in writing
• Demonstrated ability to manage projects including timelines, stakeholder management, and control risks
• Demonstrated ability to build and facilitate effective training programs
• Experience in a mentoring role
• Ability to independently research responses to scientific inquiries
• Ability to identify and build effective plans for engaging KOLs in your territory
• Must have existing actionable relationships with KOLs in the therapeutic area
• Demonstrated ability to influence organizational processes
• Demonstrated ability to translate corporate strategy to medical objectives and field medical tactics
• Scientific expertise in assigned therapeutic area
• Demonstrated experience planning and running effective advisory boards
• Must be a strong team player and effectively collaborate with internal departments.
• Work independently
• Patient and partner focus
• Learning ability
• Problem solving
• Relationship building
• Self-awareness and adaptability
• Strategic thinking
This position reports to the MSL Field Director. The Pr. MSL may have contact with internal colleagues in pharmaceuticals, marketing, sales, research and development, strategy/portfolio management, regulatory, and medical affairs team members. External collaboration includes trade associations, professional societies, payers, clinicians, policy thought leaders, and various government personnel and agencies. Collaboration across a matrix organization is required.
Ability to travel, up to 60% of the time