This Principal Engineer position will serve as a technical and strategic leader for the Advanced Engineering Simulation Analysis team. This position will focus on activities related to our advanced development domain. The selected candidate for this role will coordinate with management and our Center of Excellence leaders to establish a strategic plans, facilitate mentoring of AESA staff, identify technology gaps, develop a business initiatives and monitor/influence improvement efforts. This position is responsible for directly executing and supporting complex Research and Development efforts within Finite Element Modeling research, supporting physics model development of various manufacturing processes. This position may also require support of other initiatives around Augmented Reality, High Performance Computing Support, and other cutting edge technology.
Summary of Duties:
· Work with COE Leads and Domain Leads to execute major technical projects that significantly impact the KCNSC business.
· Advises and consults as technical expert to other technical staff and simulation analysts to drive and implement short and long-term projects.
· Prepares comprehensive proposals and cost estimates, evaluates progress and results, and recommends and directs the implementation of major revisions in approaches and objectives; may set, modify and/or negotiate schedule changes and dates.
· Produces substantial growth based on technical advances and innovation and/or improvement in existing technologies. Recommends and directs the implementation of major revisions in approaches and objectives.
· Champions initiatives to resolve critical processes and technological-related issues.
· Stays current with relevant emerging technology and business trends. Uses business knowledge to evaluate and prioritize business opportunities based on economic and technical factors.
· Conducts activities in a safe and healthy manner and works in accordance with established HS&E requirements to ensure the protection of employees, the public, and the environment. Takes actions necessary to stop work when an unsafe condition or action is identified. Every employee has the right and responsibility to stop work when unsafe conditions or actions are identified.
You Must Have:
· US citizenship in order to obtain and maintain US Dept of Energy "Q" level security clearance
· BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or other engineering or physical science discipline from an ACS or ABET accredited university
· Minimum 7 years of experience in FEA and Mechanical Engineering Simulation of a wide variety of parts and processesapplying strain, heat transfer, vibration, plasticity, deformation, shock, thermal, and/or electrical-physical laws to production challenges.
· Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or Materials Science
· Demonstrated proficiency in understanding and utilizing finite element analysis fundamentals (underlying partial differential equations, shape functions, element types, contact, solvers)
· Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in understanding nonlinear behavior of materials (plasticity, visco-elasticity/plasticity, hyperelasticity)
· Experience in developing and applying a wide range of validation tools (design of experiments, surrogate/reduced order models, qualitative metrics, etc.)
· Demonstrated understanding of various code verification techniques.
· Experience in applying verification and validation tools
· Experience in performing value added sensitivity analysis and uncertainty quantification.
· Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in computational fluid dynamics
· Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in structural dynamics applications
· Knowledge of SCRUM work method and agile principles
Technical consultancyProject and product complianceProject coordinationDesign engineeringExempt